We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting a car in New York or Washington DC

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Renting a car in New York or Washington DC

Hi everyone,

I'm planning a trip to New York and Washington and I'm trying to figure out what is the most economical way of doing this.

I looked at my options, Amtrak and bus and I prefer the train over the bus. The other factor I'm thinking of is whether we need to drive in Washington DC.

Option 1: To rent a car in NY, take it up to Washington and come back

Option 2: To do a round trip to Washington via Amtrak and then rent a car in Washington.

What are your thoughts and I'm open to any suggestions that you might have. I've been to New York but never to Washington so any tips for traveling this route would be great!

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
New York
New York
United States
Washington
Washington
United States
Washington DC
Washington DC
District of Columbia
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
147 Reviews
from US$175.00*
Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island...
1,170 Reviews
from US$57.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
1,056 Reviews
from US$83.99*
NYC Empire State Observatory...
2,417 Reviews
from US$37.00*
new york
Level Contributor
3,296 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting a car in New York or Washington DC

I would not rent a car. I would (and did) take amtrak. Can you fly into one city, take amtrak to the other, then fly home? You do not need or want a car in either city.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
59,001 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renting a car in New York or Washington DC

+ 1 on that. Absolutely no need for a car in Washington unless you want to sit in traffic while driving it and pay a fortune to park it.

Mentioned in this post
Washington
Washington
United States
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Renting a car in New York or Washington DC

Thank you both! Will take your word on this :)

New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Renting a car in New York or Washington DC

No car for Washington D.C. - trust us.

Train is the way to go.

Fly Vancouver - Washington and fly New York - Vancouver. Then just take the train one-way.

Mentioned in this post
Washington
Washington
United States
New York
New York
United States
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
12,622 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Renting a car in New York or Washington DC

You want what is called an "open jaw" ticket. I assume you realize that there are several airports in the Washington area, and also in New York. For Washington, if you find a better fare or more convenient times to BWI than to Dulles (IAD) or Reagan-National (DCA), I'd go ahead and take the BWI flight.

For New York, until July 15th it would be better to avoid Newark (EWR) if possible since the Newark Airport Air Train is closed for maintenance and there's also some long term highway construction. So either LaGuardia (LGA) or JFK would be your best bet. If there's a much better fare to Newark, then I'd still go ahead and take it.

Mentioned in this post
Washington
Washington
United States
New York
New York
United States
6. Re: Renting a car in New York or Washington DC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 April 2015, 07:15