We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We had a great time.

Pasadena, California
Level Contributor
18 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
We had a great time.

Our family of three had a fabulous vacation the last week of March in New York City. Thank you for all the ideas I got from this board.

Here are some highlights and a pointer:

We all enjoyed getting on a subway and going to different parts of the city and exploring. We hit the Upper West, Upper East, Greenwich Village, Washington Square Park, China Town, Little Italy, Central Park and of course Times Square. And we walked and walked, and walked some more.

Food:

For the most part, we ate our meals in neighborhood restaurants and we ate very well and never really felt like a tourist. We were always treated like someone from the area. And I would happily go back to all of the places we ate. No stinkers the whole week.

The Mermaid Inn up on Amsterdam between 87th and 88th. Great service, nice happy hour. Tried and liked the skate, lobster roll and kale (vegan daughter).

Pappardella at 74th and Columbus. Very Nice Italian food. House made pasta, the focaccia bread was the bomb!

Cafe Tallulah at 71st and Columbus. French food, nicely done, better than good french onion soup.

The District at 93rd and 3rd Ave: Yummy brunch, lots of young families with babies.

Joe Allen on 46th: Monday night Mexican food. BEST guacamole ever! And I live in California and have lived in Mexico. Good for before or after a show.

Boddha Bodai at 5 Mott St. a Vegan Kosher Dim Sum Chinese restaurant, our vegan daughter was in heaven, and the two carnivores were pleasantly surprised that everything tasted like what we expect Dim Sum to taste like.

And of course, the Carnegie Deli. The fish plate for two was AWESOME!

Dropped in for a beer at Houston Hall, a NYU hangout. Very turn of the other century feeling with good beer. They only pour what they brew.

Destinations:

The American Museum of Natural History. We will have to come back, because there is no way to see it in one day, Make sure to take the time to see the upper floors. Really enjoyed the Reptiles, The Margaret Mead exhibit, Vertebrate origins. So well done. And of course the Hayden Planetarium. Extra $$ to the see a Neil De Grase Tyson show about dark matter, but well worth it. If you are enjoying Cosmos, you will love this.

We all liked walking up Mott St. up through Chinatown and through Little Italy. Up the way on Mott St, there was a shop that only sold chop sticks. Definitely worth a walk in to see their wares.

Stopped by the Trader Joe's at 72nd and Broadway. Two lines of over 45 people and their carts waiting to check out. The line moved fairly quickly as there were 29 cashiers. WOW!

We got to see more than a few shows, starting with “Jasper in Dead Land”, off-Broadway (now closed, but I would expect to see it open again in NYC).

Loved “Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder”. Jefferson May, the lead was amazing.

“Murder for Two” at the New World Stages with Brett Ryback, was an insanely funny, and fast paced musical.

And we went to 54 Below for a show and dinner. Lots of fun and enjoyed the food, especially the Oysters Rockefeller!

And my pointer for the day: If you want to look like a New York'er, never wait for a red light, if it's clear, go for it.

All in all a good trip. I think we need to do it again.

Real New York Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Free Tours by Foot
Bike Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Night Tours, Food Tours
SANDEMANs NEW Europe - New York
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
CityRover Walks NY
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,227 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: We had a great time.

Sounds like a great trip. This phrase made me lol: "Vegan Kosher Dim Sum Chinese restaurant". Only in NY !!!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,934 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: We had a great time.

What a wonderful trip. Glad you loved 54 Below.

I might just need to stay on the Upper West Side for our next visit.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
65 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: We had a great time.

Well, there's also one in Flushing, one on Pell St., and I think one opened up on Queens Blvd in Rego Park. But surely I am forgetting some? And that is just the dim sum places. If you were just looking for Vegan Kosher Chinese Restaurant, there are probably a dozen.

My favorite is the one on Pell, though. Where else can you get vegan kosher dim sum at 10PM?

4. Re: We had a great time.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 June 2015, 07:15