We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

permit for car to drive through Central Park

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
permit for car to drive through Central Park

Help! We get married in over a week's time in Wagner Cove and have been let down by the vintage car company we had chosen (through no fault of their own). We are now organising alternative transport via our hotel and I have been told I need to get a permit for the car to drive through the park and drop us off at Wagner Cove. I have been on the parks and permits website where I got the permit for the ceremony but can't see anything about driving permits. Can anyone help? Sorry if question has been asked before and thanks in advance.

Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
6,907 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: permit for car to drive through Central Park

I have never noticed private cars on the park roads except during the general hours when the drives are open. I am not certain such a thing as a permit for off hours exists.

centralpark.com/guide/general-info/park-driv…

The park drives tend to be on the outer edge of he park and I suppose you could take a road outside the park to the closest point.

Edited: 24 April 2014, 23:18
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,620 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: permit for car to drive through Central Park

Given the timing issue - in a week - I would call the park if I were you to clarify your question.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,575 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: permit for car to drive through Central Park

I don't think they allow vehicles, permit or not. Wagner Cove is not that far from the 72 st entrance at Central Park West. This sheet says you can use a petty cab ( I assume they mean a pedicab- like a bike with rickshaw)

nycgovparks.org/sub_things_to_do/attractions…

Mentioned in this post
Central Park West Hostel
Central Park West Hostel
59 Reviews
New York City, NY
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
561 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: permit for car to drive through Central Park

Cars don't belong in Central Park, especially on a crowded spring day. Walk the 1 block. You will get tons of cheers and happy wishes.. I've been to plenty of NYC weddings, and the short walk from point a to point b with everyone in their finest is always very nice.

Mentioned in this post
Central Park
Central Park
114,344 Reviews
New York City, NY
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: permit for car to drive through Central Park

Thank you all for replying. Central Park is very special to me and I am so happy to be getting married in New York so a little walk is fine. My knees will be knocking but it'll be fine! It will probably add to the occasion.

thanks again for taking the time to reply. Not long to go until I'm in my favourite place in the world.

Mentioned in this post
Central Park
Central Park
114,344 Reviews
New York City, NY
6. Re: permit for car to drive through Central Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2015, 06:15