We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Loose Itinerary.....6 days of lush!

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
124 reviews
Save Topic
Loose Itinerary.....6 days of lush!

You know me, I love NYC and this will be our 11th visit.

Here's our loose-ish itinerary - would be grateful for suggestions, feedback or potential trickies you can spot to make it a less loose itinerary! Thanks :)

Thursday May 29

Arrive JFK 1.30pm. Estimate by the time we get past the good old TSA, pick up luggage and trek on the Subway we'll be at our first hotel - Element - by approx 5pm. Quick drop off of luggage, freshen up and change and out of the door to hopefully catch Manhattanhenge at Tudor Bridge.

- Anywhere to grab some food quickly on our way to Tudor Bridge from the hotel - preferably food truck?

Friday May 30

Birthday breakfast at Clinton Street. Trip to Tiffany to choose my gift :) Rest of the day exploring Queens including Flushing Meadows Park, Sculpture Park and some places in between. Still working on this itinerary and might switch for Mon/Tues yet (see below).

Birthday dinner some place casual-ish in Manhattan - preferably somewhere close to a few good pubs (but not pretentious trendy places where you just go to be seen....).

- Thought perhaps Friend of a Farmer or the Smith and then around the Union Square area - any pub recs? Reasonable choice? Chance of being rammed on a Friday night?

Saturday May 31

Afternoon Yankees game. No firm plans afterwards as not sure about timings etc.

Sunday June 1

Change of hotel (got two bargain Priceline Deals by splitting) so down to Marriott Downtown.

Over to Williamsburg Flea, then Brooklyn Graffitti tour.

- Any other suggestions for Brooklyn?

Monday June 2

Roosevelt Aerial tram

Possibly Coney Island

I guess we could have done Queens this day but I'd like to see the Panorama at the museum and I believe they are closed Mon & Tues. But I might forego this if it works better overall.

Tuesday June 3

Going to pick a couple of NYC walks to go on and explore - we have a pack of cards, each one has a different walk around the city, pointing out things to do and see. I quite fancy UWS.

Mentioned in this post
The Roosevelt Hotel
The Roosevelt Hotel
9,763 Reviews
New York City, NY
Williamsburg
Williamsburg
1,431 Reviews
Brooklyn, NY
Union Square
Union Square
1,279 Reviews
New York City, NY
New York Yankees Steak House
New York Yankees Steak...
476 Reviews
New York City, NY
Friend of a Farmer
Friend of a Farmer
454 Reviews
New York City, NY
Subway
Subway
6 Reviews
New York City, NY
Queens
Queens
New York
Flushing
Flushing
Queens, NY
Brooklyn
Brooklyn
New York
Center Moriches...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Loose Itinerary.....6 days of lush!

Regarding Brooklyn - Brooklyn Museum and Botanic Garden are next to each other. Prospect Park is also right there. Upper West Side - Start with bagels and lox at Barney Greengrass on Amsterdam at 86th; Zabar's is fun to explore for bakery, cheeses, meats, and more, Broadway at 80th; Salumeria Rosi on Amsterdam between 73rd and 74th has beautiful hams and cheeses - sort of a small plate deli. Easy move from there to Central Park entrance at 72nd Street to work off all of the above. Maybe a row on the lake?

Mentioned in this post
Central Park
Central Park
113,159 Reviews
New York City, NY
Prospect Park
Prospect Park
1,158 Reviews
Brooklyn, NY
Brooklyn Museum
Brooklyn Museum
1,287 Reviews
Brooklyn, NY
Upper West Side
Upper West Side
793 Reviews
New York City, NY
Zabar's
Zabar's
544 Reviews
New York City, NY
Barney Greengrass
Barney Greengrass
446 Reviews
New York City, NY
Salumeria Rosi
Salumeria Rosi
322 Reviews
New York City, NY
Brooklyn
Brooklyn
New York
Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Loose Itinerary.....6 days of lush!

A friend has just recommended L'Artusi. Any thoughts?

Mentioned in this post
L'Artusi
L'Artusi
422 Reviews
New York City, NY
Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
12,456 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Loose Itinerary.....6 days of lush!

When you said ...6 days of lush...I imagined you stuck in Lush for 6 days. My idea of hell.

Fortunately your itinerary seems to be much better and avoids that store completely.

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
183 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Loose Itinerary.....6 days of lush!

You arrive the day before us but we are on our first trip so doing more of the average touristy stuff

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
39,255 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Loose Itinerary.....6 days of lush!

The Queens Panorama, located in the Queens museum is, on the outskirts of Flushing Meadow Park. The two need to be done the same day.

BTW a technical correct. TSA only does security prior to flying. ( be in national or international) When you enter the US from a foreign country ( be you a tourist or returning American) you go first through immigration and then through customs.

Mentioned in this post
Queens Museum
Queens Museum
180 Reviews
Flushing, NY
Queens
Queens
New York
Flushing
Flushing
Queens, NY
Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton
Level Contributor
3,545 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Loose Itinerary.....6 days of lush!

I don't know if it would work in with the timings and location of your graffiti tour, but you could take the East River Ferry from the Flea in Williamsburg down to Brooklyn Bridge Park/DUMBO for the views and for Smorgasburg.

Mentioned in this post
Williamsburg
Williamsburg
1,431 Reviews
Brooklyn, NY
Brooklyn Bridge Park
Brooklyn Bridge Park
2,709 Reviews
Brooklyn, NY
Dumbo
Dumbo
1,943 Reviews
Brooklyn, NY
East River Ferry
East River Ferry
494 Reviews
Brooklyn, NY
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Loose Itinerary.....6 days of lush!

I didn't get a chance to comment on your Queens question earlier in the week. The panorama is worth seeing so go to Flushing Meadows on a day it is open. I wasn't too impressed with the Sculpture Garden in Astoria. It's really more of a neighborhood art space, and a little out of the way at that. The nearby Noguchi Museum is better, but only if you like Noguschi's sculpture. My favorite Astoria museum is far and away the Museum of Moving Image. It's a phenomenal interactive museum about the history and making of film and television. Plus it's located next to the active lot of Kaufman Astoria Studios (home of Sesame Street)! Plus it's easier to get to from Flushing Meadows, you can get off the 7 at 74th Street. It's totally worth walking down 74th to see the city's "Little India." After that, take a Manhattan-bound R or M train to 36th Street (in Queens). The museum is three avenues away at 36th STREET and 35th AVENUE. Otherwise, it looks like a fun trip!

Shawn

http://nytourguy.blogspot.com/

http://instagram.com/nytourguy

Mentioned in this post
Noguchi Museum
Noguchi Museum
147 Reviews
Long Island City, NY
The Museum at FIT
The Museum at FIT
183 Reviews
New York City, NY
Flushing
Flushing
Queens, NY
Queens
Queens
New York
8. Re: Loose Itinerary.....6 days of lush!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 18 July 2014, 19:35
San Frantastic
Level Contributor
949 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Loose Itinerary.....6 days of lush!

LoL - I thought by "lush" you meant that you'd be drinking heavily and be intoxicated the for 6 days. But I guess you don't need to fly across the Atlantic Ocean to do that :-)

10. Re: Loose Itinerary.....6 days of lush!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2015, 06:16