We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation from JFK Airport to Brooklyn

Level Contributor
89 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation from JFK Airport to Brooklyn

Hello everybody!

My husband and I would be arriving at JFK at 10pm later next week and we have to be transported to Best Western Plus Prospect Park Hotel. Which taxi service would serve us the best? Should we pre-book a taxi or should we get one at the airport? What about the rates?

TIA!

Revolution Rickshaws
Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, City Tours
NYC Airporter
Taxis & Shuttles, Bus Transportation
Washington
Level Contributor
25 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation from JFK Airport to Brooklyn

There are plenty of taxis just waiting for you. From JFK to anywhere in NYC other than Manhattan works on a meter system. nyc.gov/html/…taxicab_rate.shtml

Stephen

Free Tours by Foot

www.freetoursbyfoot.com/new-york-tours/

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
12,624 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation from JFK Airport to Brooklyn

If you want to do this by public transportation it's not hard. Your hotel is very close to the 25th Street station of the R train in Brooklyn.

If you're arriving on a weekday, then from JFK you'd take the Howard Beach AirTrain. At Howard Beach you'd get a Manhattan-bound A train to Jay Street/Metrotech. Follow the signs to a different platform to get the R train (which will be headed to 95th Street/Brooklyn) to the 25th Street station and you'll be right there.

This route won't work on weekends. On weekends there are several alternatives. I think what I'd do is to take the AirTrain to Jamaica and take the Long Island Rail Road (using the "city ticket" available only on weekends) to Flatbush Avenue/Brooklyn, NOT Penn Station. Flatbush Avenue will part of the Barclays Center subway complex, and there you'd be able to get the R train to 25th Street.

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Level Contributor
89 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation from JFK Airport to Brooklyn

Actually we will have quite some baggage and it would be difficult to move around with them. So we think a taxi is our best way to get to the hotel. But then, I read in a couple of discussions here that it is better to pre-book a taxi from Brooklyn area itself, otherwise the driver may not know the precise location. Just wondering whether we should pre-book one or just get one from the airport.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
39,315 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation from JFK Airport to Brooklyn

If you do not know where you are going I would pre-book. Since it is a meter ( versus Manhattan which is flat rate) pre-booking keeps a driver from taking a scenic route to inflate the fair. Check out Dial 7. ( google for website)

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,172 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation from JFK Airport to Brooklyn

Dial 7 will cost FAR more than a taxi. If you want a local car service, try Eastern (718-499-6227) or just print directions for a yellow cab.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation from JFK Airport to Brooklyn

I see no reason to pre-book. Just give the taxi the address: 4th avenue/25th street in Brooklyn. I know of no taxis who are unable to find that address considering 4th Avenue is right off of Atlantic Avenue.

Level Contributor
89 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transportation from JFK Airport to Brooklyn

In that case, I think I would go with the yellow taxi. I would also carry a print-out of the map pointing out the directions, just in case. Thank you everybody!

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transportation from JFK Airport to Brooklyn

I don't even think you need a printout with directions. The directions may not take into account current traffic. Where you are going is a VERY easy location to find. If you jump in the taxi and just say, 4th avenue and 25th street in Brooklyn, you will be ok.

If the driver asks which way you want to go(some may), just say the fastest way.

Once you get near to where you are straying, that is when you can start looking for the hotel/actual address.

9. Re: Transportation from JFK Airport to Brooklyn

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 May 2015, 05:16