We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newark Airport - Manhattan Hotel (Holiday Inn 5th Ave)

Manila, Philippines
11 posts
Save Topic
Newark Airport - Manhattan Hotel (Holiday Inn 5th Ave)

Hi guys... need some advice here for our transport from Newark hotel/Airport to Manhattan Hotel.

Since we will be arriving late evening, 1030PM with a 1 year old daughter, I decided to book a hotel, Springhills Suites near newark airport to stay for the night. My plan is to take the free shuttle to the hotel. Then the following take the free shuttle to the airport and from the airport go to our downtown Manhattan holiday Inn Hotel. Ive been doing research and I think the airtrain wont be in service by May. I checked out Go link and super shuttles, both of which has not so good reviews... Any suggestions guys?

Thanks...

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
67 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Newark Airport - Manhattan Hotel (Holiday Inn 5th Ave)

I've been looking at this also, since we are going in early May. It appears there will be shuttles from Newark Airport to Newark Penn Station, which is where you actually catch the PATH train to Manhattan. You should be able to get a taxi or shuttle to Newark Penn Station, even if the AirTrain is down. Alternatively, you can take a taxi between Newark and Manhattan, but this would be expensive - I think we paid $80 to Manhattan, & then $100 back on a recent trip, plus we had a hard time finding a cab in Manhattan to take us back to Newark. Also, the second cab driver claimed his credit card machine wasn't working, and we had to scrape together cash to pay the fare & tip. I've read bad reviews of Supershuttle and Go Link also - I don't want to get stuck on a bus and waste hours of my vacation, which seems likely with them.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Newark Airport - Manhattan Hotel (Holiday Inn 5th Ave)

You can get a car service or use one of the replacement buses that will be on rather than the airtrain

Definitely avoid the shuttles

Also 10.30 is not late - I would not stay near Newark airport

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Newark Airport - Manhattan Hotel (Holiday Inn 5th Ave)

Hey Alvin H:-) Assuming you'll be coming off the long haul and having to go through formalities.. immigration/passport control.. customs.. with a 10:30p arrival it can take as little as 20-30 min.. or as long as an hour++.. no way to predict since it depends on how many flights are coming in that have to go through same.. nonetheless, chances are you won't be done till about 11:30.. possibly midnight if you land on time!

Having said that, I'd personal rec to just get a car service and head into the City.. get it done and over with so you can settle in and not have to deal with transferring again the next day and all it entails with a 1-year old.. again, that's just my take;-) I'd look at www.dial7.com/ www.carmellimo.com/ for a quote.. both popular.. have been around for eons! Although no one can predict traffic heading into the City even at midnight, chances are it won't be as bad as during the day during rush hours;-) Best.. and EnJOY!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,553 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Newark Airport - Manhattan Hotel (Holiday Inn 5th Ave)

I agree with Litsa. Going to a Newark hotel for just a night is more trouble than it's worth...finding what you need in the bags etc. will be really inconvenient. I'd use a car service into Manhatttan.

Allstatelimo.com

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,553 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Newark Airport - Manhattan Hotel (Holiday Inn 5th Ave)

If you're now stuck with this plan, I'd take a taxi to Newark Penn Station and use the NJ Transit train from there into Mnahattan. Going back to the aiport makes no sense at all with the airtrain not working and is not worth the trouble just to avoid a taxi fare. No, I don't know what a taxi will charge, but it doesnt matter.

6. Re: Newark Airport - Manhattan Hotel (Holiday Inn 5th Ave)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 April 2015, 06:16