We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 days in NYC - top things to do

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
2 days in NYC - top things to do

Hi all

We will be in NYC in the middle of May for just 2 days over a weekend (arrive Friday night, leave Sunday night). I have some great walking shoes to pound the pavement but am overwhelmed by what to do in such a short time??? Obvious ones (I think??) are Empire State, Statue of Liberty, SOHO, Times Square????? Any advice welcome.

Thanks

eatrunteach

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
136 reviews
from US$175.00*
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,111 reviews
from US$199.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
994 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,385 reviews
from US$36.00*
Center Moriches...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 days in NYC - top things to do

Where are you staying and what do you enjoy? The options are endless.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 days in NYC - top things to do

Hi Chris.

We are staying at the Novotel on Times square. I've been looking at The Rock?? Do you know the best time to visit in mid-May? Or is the ESB better? Also want to see/go to the Statue of Liberty. We are truly very touristy so anything touristy would be great. I also love, love, love food so any great foodie areas would be great.

Thanks

eatrunteach

Preston, Lancs
Level Contributor
167 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 days in NYC - top things to do

I haven't been yet but a lot of posters on here say that Top of the Rock has better views than ESB, because you get to actually see the ESB and Central Park.

It is our first time in may and I have just posted my itinerary on another thread if you fancy a quick skim - also search through recent trip reports for tips.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
17,134 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 days in NYC - top things to do

There's not a lot you can do in two days. But with what you have listed go to Times Square at night. The lights are better and that will free up your days for other things.

Maybe just a sail by the SOL on the free Staten Island Ferry (you'll see her at a fair distance though) or water taxi would be better rather than spending hours in queues and security lines trying to get to Liberty Island.

You haven't listed Central Park. That's a must do for many people.

Center Moriches...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 days in NYC - top things to do

You will need to be very organized to get the most out of two days. New York City is very large, and attractions are spread out all over the island. The standard advice is to group things together by location to avoid backtracking. For example, Statue of Liberty, World Trade Center Memorial, Wall Street, Chinatown/Little Italy are all fairly close together. The ESB, TOR, your hotel, Times Square are grouped about 2-3 miles north of the first grouping. Establish priorities for each day, start with them, then add sites as your stamina, wallet, and interest allow.

Boston
Level Contributor
955 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 days in NYC - top things to do

Everyone has their own preferences for TOTR and ESB, I prefer TOTR at night because of the view of ESB. I prefer ESB in daylight. We went Friday morning just after 8am and lines were very short.

Group places by location as suggested above. We had 48 hours in NYC last week (Thu/Fri/Sat), with an 11 year old, and we got a lot done. For instance, Friday our day was subway to ESB, visited 86th floor, subway to SOL Ferry (had pre-bought tix), went to Pedestal at SOL, skipped Ellis Island, subway to WTC, lunch nearby, visited 911 Memorial (note on this there are several postings about whether tix are needed or not as of later in May, I don't know about that so not sure if that will affect you), subway to hotel on W54th for an hour rest, then take-out dinner ate in a park, Rockefeller Center to watch ice skating, Times Square to see the lights and this is with several trips into stores throughout the day/night. Back in the room by 11pm. So you can cram a lot in, just have good shoes. I've been to NYC several times but this was the first trip for my brother and his son so we wanted to get in as much as possible since not sure when they'll be able to get back.

For food, Ziggy is a poster on here and his blog has many good suggestions and you can search through old posts. www.eatingwithziggy.com

Edited: 28 April 2014, 15:45
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 days in NYC - top things to do

Smogasburgh(part of the Brooklyn Flea) at the Bklyn Bridge Park. Good food and great views!

R R
Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
1 post
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 days in NYC - top things to do

If you're a foodie, you MUST go to Carnegie Deli. It's a walk from Times Square - but not too bad. From Carnegie it's a short walk to Central Park. The Park in May is glorious. From the Park we frequently walk up 5th towards Rockefeller Center - and what a walk to see store windows and even stop at Tiffany's, Cartier, Bergdof Goodman, and St. Patrick's Cathedral before crossing to Rockefeller Center. There the options are endless with a "must see" Radio City Music Hall which is very close. We were there at Christmas and I'm ready to return. I've read the other recommendations and they all have great suggestions. Have a great time.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,757 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 days in NYC - top things to do

Actually going to the Statue of Liberty will be a big time investment. Possibly 4+ hours. Consider taking a cruise with views from the water instead You could even do a nighttime cruise, which would free up more daytime hours.

If doing the SOL is a must, book timed tickets at statuecruises.com Crown access will be sold out, but you may still be able to get pedestal access tickets, or can choose to just have general island access. Book the earliest time slot you can get as lines get worse as the day progresses.

Another reason to do TOTR rather than ESB is that lines are much shorter. The ESB can have long lines even if you have purchased tickets ahead of time. Do TOTR during daylight or at sunset. Spectacular views of Central Park require daylight.

When is your flight home? It sounds like you will really have just one full day, plus part of Sunday.

10. Re: 2 days in NYC - top things to do

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 April 2015, 06:16