We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Once"

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
"Once"

Loved the movie. Anyone seen the show? I'm told there's "not a bad seat in the house" for Broadway shows. Choosing seats soon. We always like to get concert seats up close, but thinking we need a broader parameter for a play. Comments? Thanks!

Jersey Boys
Concerts, Theatres, Performances
Carnegie Hall
Theatres, Concerts
B.B. King Blues Club & Grill
Dinner Theatres, Bars & Clubs, Concerts, Blues Clubs & Bars
Joe's Pub
Bars & Clubs, Dance Clubs & Discos, Concerts
Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
4,272 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "Once"

Here are some discussions of this:

www.tripadvisor.com/SearchForums…

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "Once"

Got it. Thanks for your quick response

new york
Level Contributor
3,190 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "Once"

I don't like to be in the first few rows - usually too close. I sat in the mezzanine for Once and was happy with the view. If you want to go up on stage for a drink before the show, you need to get there quickly when the doors open. We made the mistake of using the restroom and then stood in line for 20 minutes to get on stage.

I wasn't as enamored with the show as other people, but if you are a fan of the movie I'm sure you will love it.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,564 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "Once"

I loved both the movie and the show and the show is different so you won't feel like you're getting a replay of the movie. I saw the musical twice, once from the last rows of the orchestra and once from the front mezzanine. If this is your first Broadway experience I would spring for better (closer) seats whether front mezz or orchestra does not matter. I would take a side orchestra in the first half of the theater over the center rear orchestra.

As this show has no spectacle requireing a wide view of the stage I would, on the whole, prefer orchestra over mezzanine, but that said, front mezz is fine

Monterrey, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,188 posts
395 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "Once"

I was on the fence with this show and last year I decided to give it a try and I'm glad I did, I totally loved it.

The show does not have a great production so you don't need to sit back to take it all in.

When I bought my ticket I could chose from the very first row on the orchestra center, 6th row on the left orchestra, 15th centre orchestra, and 2nd row front mezz, they were all at the same price. The middle rows of the orchestra were premium.

Of course I picked the first row orchestra and I had an amazing time.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
15,755 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: "Once"

I thoroughly enjoyed the show. Also, there is a practical (working) bar on the stage. You can go up on the stage, get a beverage & some of the featured players come out & jam right in front of you.

Try doing that at a movie!

Norway
Level Contributor
210 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: "Once"

I loved the show more than the movie! Great humor! We sat on the last row of the mezzanine which was short of leg room, but views were fine. Enjoy!

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
4,272 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: "Once"

tovelin is right. The movie had a certain, bumbling "Independent Movie" feeling that swamped some of the charm, and desperately needing editing down. This show is a great transformation of the same material by people who know how to build a live event. Even the set designer simultaneously saved money on the set and created a magical moment viewing Dublin from afar at night, with no scene change delay. The choreography in the girls' headset-trio and the bank-loan scene are like nothing else you can see in New York.

If you like this small-scale charm, consider also Bridges of Madison County, which still has the original, megastar lead. But that's two "Date Night" shows on one trip ...So much nicer than that "nasty puppet" Date Night.

9. Re: "Once"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2015, 05:16