We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beacon Hotel, Affinia 50 or Courtyard Manhattan/Midtown E???

Parkwood, Australia
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Beacon Hotel, Affinia 50 or Courtyard Manhattan/Midtown E???

Hi,

We are a family of 5 (kids aged 11, 7 & 5) and I have made tentative reservations at 1) Hotel Beacon, 2) Affinia 50 & 3) Courtyard by Marriott Manhattan/Midtown East. All are accomodating for families with 3 kids but I wondered is the Upper West Side much more kid-friendly than Midtown East? My eldest child suffers from anxiety & I am a bit worried that Midtown will be too fast-paced for him. I am leaning towards Hotel Beacon, but I would love your thoughts? We also need to be close to a convenience store (preferably one that caters for a gluten-free diet).

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,963 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beacon Hotel, Affinia 50 or Courtyard Manhattan/Midtown E???

You would be fine at any of them. The Beacon area is a bit leafier. At the Beacon, I assume you'd get a 1 bedroom suite with separate bedroom with 2 souble beds and sitting room with sofabed. The Courtyard will just be a large room with 2 queens and sofabed. Not sure what the options are at Affinia 50 since their renovation. I think the Beacon is probably best but the beds are doubles rather than queens if that matters.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,281 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beacon Hotel, Affinia 50 or Courtyard Manhattan/Midtown E???

The Beacon is in a nice, leafy residential neighborhood, full of families. The others are in a corporate area of Midtown East. Unless one of the ME options offers a room size or price that can't be beat, I'd definitely choose the Beacon!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
136 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Beacon Hotel, Affinia 50 or Courtyard Manhattan/Midtown E???

I've had family stay at the Beacon( also a family of 5 ) and they thoroughly recommend it. They also had a gluten free member & found lots of GF food at the grocery store/deli across the road. It was 2 years ago but would imagine it would still be very similar.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beacon Hotel, Affinia 50 or Courtyard Manhattan/Midtown E???

Hey trickyw72:-) Although the Beacon is close to the hubbub of midtown.. even walkable.. it's worlds away in terms of ambiance! It's a real neighborhood that also houses lots of families thus super family-friendly area with markets, restaurants all over to cater to the locals;-) You've got Fairway market right across the Street where you'll find it's Café as well as Organics section up on the second floor.. you also have both Central and Riverside Parks within easy reach as well.. the latter on the Hudson River with views all the way up to the George Washington Bridge.. packed with folks strolling, running, walking their dogs..and playgrounds galore;-) Think the area would work well for you and your family:-) Happy planning.. and EnJOY!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beacon Hotel, Affinia 50 or Courtyard Manhattan/Midtown E???

The Beacon is one of my favorite NYC hotels. Because of the express subway stop right there, it's actually just as quick to reach Times Square as it would be from the Affinia 50 or Courtyard East. I would definitely go with the Beacon.

Shawn

http://nytourguy.blogspot.com/

http://instagram.com/nytourguy

Parkwood, Australia
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Beacon Hotel, Affinia 50 or Courtyard Manhattan/Midtown E???

Thanks all so much for your feedback. I'm pleased to say that the Beacon came back with a reasonable price. A little more than the other two options, but I think worth it to be in a more family friendly area. Thanks also for the gluten free advice. I looked at the Fairway market website & apparently there are over 2000 gluten free foods available!

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beacon Hotel, Affinia 50 or Courtyard Manhattan/Midtown E???

Watching TV today this all Gluten Free & all Natural bakery was featured. Maybe you'll be near it when you are out and about.

http://jenniferswaybakery.com/

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beacon Hotel, Affinia 50 or Courtyard Manhattan/Midtown E???

You're welcome trickyw72:-) You'll also find many restaurants with gluten-free options as well.. and yes, Fairway has just about everything.. it's an adventure in there;-)) Think you made a great choice.. keep enjoyin'!

9. Re: Beacon Hotel, Affinia 50 or Courtyard Manhattan/Midtown E???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 May 2015, 05:16