We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Us open dslr camera policy

London, United...
Level Contributor
980 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Us open dslr camera policy

Hi

Ive got a ticket to a us open day session in the arthur ashe stadium.

Ive googled and looked on the official site but did anyone go last year and take a dslr camera? If so was it allowed?

The official site says video cameras arent allowed but everything can take videos now so im left confused :/

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
133 reviews
from US$175.00*
Special Offer
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,100 reviews
from US$199.00*
US$214.00
New York in One Day Guided...
972 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,373 reviews
from US$36.00*
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Us open dslr camera policy

Yes you can bring it.

No you should not bring a tripod so that you are disturbing others around you. Also, pro lenses may not be allowed in(Ex Canon's "white" lenses).

London, United...
Level Contributor
980 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Us open dslr camera policy

This is the one I have,

canon.co.uk/For_Home/…

I think its obviously an amateurs camera, I just hope i dont get a jobsworth on the gate

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Us open dslr camera policy

The other thing that I would advise is that many people are there to watch the matches. Some may get very annoyed if someone next to/in front if/etc is constantly standing/etc taking pics.

I am not saying that this is your case, but please be mindful of others.

Long Island
Level Contributor
1,661 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Us open dslr camera policy

At most sporting matches in the US, they allow personal photography including DSLRs with zoom lenses. However, what they don't allow usually are tripods nor do they allow the professional zoom lenses.

Also, be aware that they don't allow backpacks. And they have a separate bag line vs. a line for those without bags. Usually, the line without bags move much more quickly than the bag line. However, once last year, the bag line was moving faster and that was because they had much more security personnel for the bag checking line.

Here is your friendly tip for the day: When going to the US Open, don't bring too much stuff. Get yourself a cheap collapsible tote that will fold up. Wear cargo pants with a large pocket. Place the tote in the pocket. Carry everything else in your hands. Then, once you get inside, place your items in the tote bag. Usually saves a lot of time on line.

Tip #2: If you're driving: If you have a Mercedes, drive this to the US Open - you get free parking (actually, it's paid by MB). In years past, Lexus did the same thing until MB took over a couple years ago.

London, United...
Level Contributor
980 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Us open dslr camera policy

Thanks for the good advice everyone. I'm really excited about it even if I am sat in the nosebleed section

Do they class a camera bag (just the bag to protect the camera) as a "bag"?

Putting a bag in my trousers is a good idea :)

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Us open dslr camera policy

One bag. One bag only, please.

London, United...
Level Contributor
980 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Us open dslr camera policy

sorry i meant a protective case for the dslr, not a bag

Ive got one of those breakfast tickets so I have to be there early anyway, if they send me to the bag line I shouldnt have much of a wait (touch wood)

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Us open dslr camera policy

My above post was a Sean Connery expression!

Long Island
Level Contributor
1,661 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Us open dslr camera policy

Yes, the camera bag is considered a bag.

But, if you bring the camera bag, you might as well just forget the whole tote bag thing and bring a conventional bag since you'll have to go to the bag line anyway.

Edited: 30 April 2014, 12:10
London, United...
Level Contributor
980 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Us open dslr camera policy

Oh, I didn't recognise it without the accent.

Its a shame that a camera case would be considered a bag, especially when its barely bigger than the camera its self.

I'll be travelling by subway and i dont want to be carrying the camera without its case so Ill either need a bag or take the smaller camera.

I have a member breakfast package ticket which allows me early access to the Hospitality Pavilion thru the credential line starting at 9:00 a.m.

(though I have to get the will call tickets at 9am anyway)

Im hoping by getting there early for the breakfast Ill be able to avoid some of the cues