We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best prepaid SIM card to use in New York

London, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Best prepaid SIM card to use in New York

We will be holidaying in NYC from the UK - have two iPhones and one iPad

Will be using Skype to phone home but want to call friends and family living in NYC and each other as my other half tends to wander off lol

Any advise would be gratefully appreciated

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
137 reviews
from US$175.00*
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,115 reviews
from US$199.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
999 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,388 reviews
from US$36.00*
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,955 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best prepaid SIM card to use in New York

If you're on 3 at home, that will work here.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k7165708…

London, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best prepaid SIM card to use in New York

We use Giffgaff in the UK - we would like an inexpensive SIM card just to call each other - we don't need to make calls outside of United States

Ipswich, United...
Level Contributor
449 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best prepaid SIM card to use in New York

I got a 3 PAYG sim for my trip, I had to top up £15 but it then gave unlimited data as well as about 300 mins and 1000 texts, well worth it for my trip to NYC.

Calgary, AB
Level Contributor
35 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best prepaid SIM card to use in New York

We're Canadians that travel to the U.S. quite a bit. We use T-Mobile's Pay by the Day plan which is $3 a day for unlimited talk, text and web. We purchased a SIM card at a T-Mobile kiosk (for $15, I believe) and then logged in online to load up the SIM card with enough money to last throughout our trip. You just have to make sure that your cell phone has been unlocked by your service provider so that it can be used with any carrier. Hope this helps.

Benfleet, United...
Level Contributor
571 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best prepaid SIM card to use in New York

+1 for 3. If you are not already with 3 just go into any 3 shop and ask for the £15 Feel at Home pack which as Ipswich 1984 says gives you 300 mins, 3000 texts and unlimited data. Obviously you need an unlocked device. I have just returned from a 2 week trip to NYC and Memphis and used it with no problems, just hooked up with T mobile once there.

Edited: 01 May 2014, 22:29
Jerusalem
Level Contributor
38 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best prepaid SIM card to use in New York

You can also try Telaway which can get you a prepaid SIM before you leave the UK, and also has a forwarding service so you get calls from home. telaway.co.uk

London, United...
Level Contributor
471 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best prepaid SIM card to use in New York

One drawback with 3 as far as I can see is that, although you can forward your calls to the new 3 number, you can't forward your texts. If you are already on 3, of course, this doesn't apply. It covers you for calls back to the UK and to family or friends with you in NY as long as they have UK mobile numbers. It does cost to call US mobiles and landlines.

Ipswich, United...
Level Contributor
449 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best prepaid SIM card to use in New York

I was mainly using mine so I had access to the internet for some of the apps I was using.

I also used mine so that I could be in contact with family back home including FaceTime calls. I just gave the number to those that I thought needed it because to be honest I'm not sure I wanted to be that contactable while I was away.

Benfleet, United...
Level Contributor
571 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best prepaid SIM card to use in New York

+1 for #8. I mainly used mine for internet use as it is all you can eat for a month. I did make a couple of calls home but although I gave the number to 3 people no-one bothered me at all. It also came in handy when I had to contact my bank back home. Not being able to call US numbers wasn't really a problem, well perhaps just once when we left the NYCB out in Westbury and needed to call a taxi to take us to the station. The theatre had no public phones and had no policies in place to call cabs for patrons. I therefore had to ask a very nice fellow theatre goer if I could use his mobile as we were technically stranded and the car park was emptying rapidly. Absolutely no problem, he even made the call for us. Another testament to the friendly and helpful ways of the New York (and burbs) people.

10. Re: Best prepaid SIM card to use in New York

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2015, 05:17