We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JFK-42 St. E train or LIRR with luggage?

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
476 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
JFK-42 St. E train or LIRR with luggage?

Hi, we are staying at Hilton Times Square close to Port Authority at 42 St & 8 Ave in a couple of months. I know if we take the Air-train to Jamaica, the E train will get us closest but I'm concerned about elevators/escalators at 42 St. I see on the Port Authority website it shows an elevator, is this accessible from the E train? Or would it be easier to take the LIRR to Penn station and get a taxi to our hotel?

Also for our return, we have an 8:15 am (domestic-Delta) flight from JFK, do you think it will be okay to take the E train so early? Would we go to PA bus terminal to access the elevator? Or again, should I consider the LIRR? In either case, what time would you recommend leaving the hotel?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Mentioned in this post
Hilton Times Square
Hilton Times Square
7,377 Reviews
New York City, NY
Jamaica
Jamaica
Queens, NY
Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
8,003 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JFK-42 St. E train or LIRR with luggage?

I almost always prefer the E train; it's empty when you get on near the airport. The next train always leaves from the same place, and except overnight, it runs every 4-8 minutes. Just use that to get to your hotel. There will be zero confusion and it's easy. Here is an E train schedule and map, which you don't need except in the middle of the night:

http://web.mta.info/nyct/service/pdf/tecur.pdf‎

However... Going back at 5.30 AM, the E train runs every 20 minutes, and runs local, so it takes a lot longer. So I would vote for the LIRR at 33th St and 7th Avenue. There are escalators. Here is a typical schedule, based on tomorrow's trains. Get there 10 minutes before the train leaves so you can find the right platform; buy your tickets the day before and practice figuring out where everything is there; it's a commuter train system with lots of platforms. Note it goes real fast in the morning and is more frequent than the E train because these trains are going out early to suburban towns to start their rush hour runs into NYC.

4:54 AM 5:14 AM 20 mins Off Peak

5:11 AM 5:31 AM 20 mins Off Peak

5:26 AM 5:46 AM 20 mins Off Peak

5:47 AM 6:10 AM 23 mins Off Peak

6:07 AM 6:25 AM 18 mins Off Peak

I used this page to get my info: http://lirr42.mta.info/

Edited: 30 April 2014, 20:02
Mentioned in this post
Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
12,758 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JFK-42 St. E train or LIRR with luggage?

Here's a list of "accessible" subway stations, with particulars about where elevators are located. So you'll see that the elevator to access the E train at 42nd Street is indeed inside the bus terminal.

…mta.info/accessibility/…manhattan

Mentioned in this post
42nd Street
42nd Street
354 Reviews
New York City, NY
Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
476 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JFK-42 St. E train or LIRR with luggage?

E train it is so for our journey into Manhattan. Thanks AudenH for that link :)

NorthofDC, this really helps me, we will take the LIRR back to JFK. Thank you so much for listing those times for me :)

Can I ask how long I should add on for getting the Air-train into the airport after the LIRR?

Also a few more questions; when I get in a taxi at the hotel, will I just ask to be taken to Penn Station or do I say 33rd St & 7th Ave?

At 5-5:30 am early July, can it be assumed I (or hotel doorman) will be able to hail a taxi outside the hotel?

If I plan the journey to arrive at JFK approx 6:30 am is this allowing enough time for our 8:15 flight?

Thanks again for the help!

Mentioned in this post
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: JFK-42 St. E train or LIRR with luggage?

When you get into the taxi, you can just say Penn Station.

Yes, doorman/hotel will be able to hail you a taxi.

6:30 should work.

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,257 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: JFK-42 St. E train or LIRR with luggage?

one more vote for the E-train ...Port Authority has escalators, the trip will be a breeze ...

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
12,758 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: JFK-42 St. E train or LIRR with luggage?

Msmum: As you've read, just saying Penn Station to the taxi driver should be fine.

However, I do recall a very grumpy editorial in the New York Times some years ago complaining that someone (I imagine a high ranking editor) asked to be taken from the Times office to Penn Station and the driver didn't know where it was! The chances of that are very small and, in any event, you know where it's located.

Mentioned in this post
Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
8,003 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: JFK-42 St. E train or LIRR with luggage?

Note: Tell the driver that you want the LIRR end (7th Avenue) of Penn Station.

Also, the times I listed are for May 1, a weekday. It would be different on Saturday and Sunday, and possibly different in July. You need to go to the LIRR web page and get the times for the day you are going to the airport. I used this page to get my info: http://lirr42.mta.info/

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
476 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: JFK-42 St. E train or LIRR with luggage?

Thank you all so much, I feel more confident about it now.

NorthofDC, it will be a week day (July 3rd) return to JFK so the times you listed will help me :)

Mentioned in this post
Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
8,003 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: JFK-42 St. E train or LIRR with luggage?

Here is July 3:

Thursday, July 3, 2014

From Penn Station To Jamaica Next >>

Depart Arrive Transfer Leaves Trip Duration

4:54 AM 5:14 AM 20 mins Off Peak

5:11 AM 5:31 AM 20 mins Off Peak

5:26 AM 5:46 AM 20 mins Off Peak

5:47 AM 6:10 AM 23 mins Off Peak

6:07 AM 6:25 AM 18 mins Off Peak

You are correct: It is the same schedule.

Edited: 01 May 2014, 19:29
Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Queens, NY
Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
476 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: JFK-42 St. E train or LIRR with luggage?

Thanks again :)