We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get from Manhattan to Jersey City late night?

B W
Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to get from Manhattan to Jersey City late night?

I will be going to a concert in Manhattan and need transportation back to my hotel in Jersey City on a Friday night/early Saturday morning. I don't know when it will end, but I assume it will be late at night/early morning (midnight-2ish, I'm guessing). What is the best and safest way to go back to Jersey City? My hotel is the DoubleTree in Jersey City which is a few blocks from the PATH station, and I'm not too keen on walking alone late at night from the PATH station to the hotel. I'd rather get a car to take me straight to the hotel. Should I use Uber? Dial 7 (do I need an advance reservation with them or can I call when the show is over?)?

Thanks!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,888 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to get from Manhattan to Jersey City late night?

You can get a quote from

dial7.com

allstatelimo.com

but I'm guessing it will be a pricey ride. Sounds like Jersey City was not a good idea if you wind up spending all the savings on transportation.

B W
Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to get from Manhattan to Jersey City late night?

I'm staying in Jersey City because I don't want to drive in Manhattan. I've done it before and I'll never do it again.

I'm fine with the quote, but what I wonder is if I can call as the show ends and get a car with such short notice at such a late hour.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,432 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to get from Manhattan to Jersey City late night?

http://www.dial7.com/faq#r1

Your answer is there

Probably the other one has the same sort of feature

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,888 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to get from Manhattan to Jersey City late night?

I'm lost at why not driving in NYC has anything to do with staying in Jersey City. You are not attached by the hip to the car. You could park the car in Jersey City or imo, better still at the Port Imperial Ferry terminal in Weehawken, NJ and stay in Manhattan. You don't need to sleep where the car sleeps. ;) For that matter, you could park at MetroPark in Iselin, NJ off the Turnpike and take a train into Manhattan.

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
3,989 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to get from Manhattan to Jersey City late night?

Typing Doubletree Jersey City into Google Maps, I get a location in the redeveloped part of JC, right near the river, surface light-rail, and Goldman Sachs, which (last) has vast amounts of private security. I admit that I've never been to this hotel, but it looks to me like the walk would not be even slightly dangerous. I don't think you made a horrible choice, based on your having been there before. It would only be irrational if you flew into JFK. This is not a deserted, post-industrial, abandoned-warehouse part of Jersey City. (I walked the deserted nightime width of midtown Charlotte NC to my hotel and lived to tell the tale.)

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,404 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to get from Manhattan to Jersey City late night?

It's not even a 3-minute walk. It is certainly not empty and certainly not dangerous. I have stayed at the Candlewood Suites one block further south, and have never had the slightest worry. Really it's as good as a Manhattan hotel and a lot less expensive and easier, except for the extra 12 minutes crossing the river.

What concert ends at 2 AM, by they way? Where is the venue? There are a few PATH station in Manhattan, most along 6th Avenue (33, 23, 14, 9 Streets) and at Christopher St around Hudson St.

From Christopher, it's two stops to your hotel on the weekend and overnight and a 3-5 minute walk along a street with very fancy waterfront apartments. I think your dislike and worries are misplaced.

When you stay in Manhattan, yes you have a shorter walk or ride to your hotel, BUT: you are paying up to $40 per day to park your car, $13 R/T to drive through the tunnel, aggravation in getting to the garage (after late evening traffic, I've then had to wait in a line at a garage when arriving at midnight!), and the aggravation of leaving again at the end of your trip (sometimes a 1-hour wait to get into one of the tunnels). And no hotel is central to everything, so you have a subway ride or walk at the end of the evening in most cases.

No, do not berate yourself for staying in Jersey City. In New York, a typical conversation at a party or family gathering begins: "I'm sorry I'm so late; traffic." "Really, how'd you go?" "(Valid Way #1)" Then the rejoinders start: "Oh, you should have taken (Valid Way #2)." "Or (Valid Way #3) and just paid the toll", Or (Back way #4 through industrial streets)" "I didn't know" "Yeah, too bad"

Which means: Nothing is the better way in New York and everything takes longer or is more aggravating than you expect it to be. Once you realize that, you save your sanity.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,404 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to get from Manhattan to Jersey City late night?

One last thing: When you take that post-midnight PATH train into New Jersey, there will be about 1000 other people (yes I said 1000) in that 10-car train (100 per car). When you get out at Pavonia/Newport Station, you will be joined by about 100 people. It may not run frequently, but then again the best NY subway service is every 10 minutes after midnight, and most branches it's every 20 minutes.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,780 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way to get from Manhattan to Jersey City late night?

I also don't see walking from the PATH as a problem at this location. Be aware that at this hour all PATH trains on the 33rd Street line will first go to Hoboken and then reverse and continue one stop to Newport/Pavonia, which is the station you want.

During weekday hours there are separate trains to Hoboken and to Journal Square, and it would be a Journal Square train that you wanted to get to Newport/Pavonia.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,404 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best way to get from Manhattan to Jersey City late night?

PATH Map and Schedule:

www.panynj.gov/path/maps-schedules.html

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,888 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best way to get from Manhattan to Jersey City late night?

I don't agree. It's easy for all the men to say not to worry, but as a woman, I would also not feel great about walking back from the PATH train at 2 am. While I haven't been there at 2 am, I'm assuming there won't be many if any people around. I would not have booked a Jersey City hotel if you knew in advance you were going to that concert.