We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to fire island from midtown Hilton in Manhattan

Green Bay, Wisconsin
3 posts
Save Topic
Getting to fire island from midtown Hilton in Manhattan

What is the best way and what airport should i fly into to get to Hilton midtown new york and how whould i get there $

Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
5,388 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to fire island from midtown Hilton in Manhattan

Fire Island is a very long barrier island that mostly does not have a road down its length. It is reached by ferries from various towns on the south shore of Long Island. Frequently, these towns can be reached by the Long Island Rail Road from Penn Station. Sometimes it is necessary to take a shuttle van/taxi from the train station to the ferry dock. We would need to know where on Fire Island you want to go.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,986 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to fire island from midtown Hilton in Manhattan

Your post is confusing. Your title asks about getting to Fire Island from the Hilton Midtown. Assuming you mean the NY Hilton 6th ave. & 53 st., you would take a Long Island Railroad train from Penn station to one of several stops depending on which community on Fire Island you were visiting, then a shuttle or taxi to the ferry terminal and then a ferry.

To get to the NY Hilton from anywhere outside NYC, you can fly to any of the 3 NYC area airports (although if it's this summer, I'd avoid Newark and use either LGA or JFK). If you were going directly to Fire Island rather than coming to NYC first, the Islip Macarthur airport in Islip serviced mostly by Southwest Airlines would be a better option.

Center Moriches...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to fire island from midtown Hilton in Manhattan

JFK has the best connections to the LIRR if you are going directly to Fire Island.

Green Bay, Wisconsin
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to fire island from midtown Hilton in Manhattan

Thank you yes im flying to nyc then I have to be at hilton midtown then i would like to get to the gay sec of fire island and maybe back to nyc for the fourth of july can you also comment on the fire work in nyc thank you

Edited: 02 May 2014, 02:26
Queens, NY
Level Contributor
7,902 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to fire island from midtown Hilton in Manhattan

Do they not have punctuation in Wisconsin?

New York City
Level Contributor
4,812 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to fire island from midtown Hilton in Manhattan

I think you want to go to Fire Island Pines

Take LIRR from Midtown to Bayshore,take taxi to ferry terminal and there is a ferry from there to Fire Island Pines

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
9,492 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to fire island from midtown Hilton in Manhattan

Some of us in Wisconsin not only use punctuation, but also capitalization where appropriate. :)

Center Moriches...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting to fire island from midtown Hilton in Manhattan

Sayville, Long Island, to Cherry Grove via the LIRR and the ferry to Fire Island.

Green Bay, Wisconsin
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting to fire island from midtown Hilton in Manhattan

Sorry I have a difficult time with correct spelling and punctuation's . But do contributed my fair share to uncle sam. I thank the people who overlook this

Edited: 02 May 2014, 04:09
Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
5,388 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting to fire island from midtown Hilton in Manhattan

Taking the LIRR to Sayville,about 1-1/2 hour, and then a taxi to the ferry is the easiest way. It is possible to walk the 1 mile if you know the way. Here is the link to the ferry service:

http://www.sayvilleferry.com/index.php

You can go to either the Pines or Cherry Grove, walk to the other place over the sand or forest, and go back from there with the same return ticket. The Pines is probably more popular today, though Cherry Grove was in the past. The "towns" have no streets, but only boardwalks for thoroughfares. The houses are attractively decorated in season. As everything must be brought over by boat, things are more expensive than on the mainland.