We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Layover Time

Okinawa Prefecture...
Level Contributor
38 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Layover Time

Hello! My cousins are coming to visit me in Turkey. Their flight back from Turkey to JFK gets into terminal 4 at 4:36 p.m. Their connecting flight leaves out of LGA at 7:35 p.m. Will this be enough time to get off the plane, go through customs (they will not have bags to claim), find a way to LGA and get checked in for their flight? I'm thinking it will be cutting it close? Any suggestions for the most reliable way to get from JFK to LGA in rush hour traffic?? Thanks for any input!

Edited: 02 May 2014, 14:42
Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,170 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Layover Time

That will be tight. Terminal 4 immigration is faster than it used to be. So assume 30-45 minutes to get through immigration: 5:30 pm.

There is no good public transit connection from JFK to LGA. A taxi is the best way to go. Allow an hour, given the traffic and the length of the taxi line: 6:30 pm. If the plane is on time and not late, they may just make it.

Otherwise, they should contact their airline and find out what happens if they miss their connecting flight.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,939 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Layover Time

Maybe terminal 4 is better for Americans but I regularly meet Brits there and they are rarely out of customs and immigration earlier than 90 minutes.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
846 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Layover Time

That's cutting it extremely close. If all goes well, it will be tight. If there is any delay, they stand a good chance of missing the connection. I would plan on an hour to get through immigration/customs. If you are coming out of JFK at 5:30-6:00 on a weekday, the traffic will be extremely heavy. It could take well over an hour to get to LGA in a car at that time. I would suggest taking the airtrain to Jamaica Station and cabbing it from there. There is no room for delay in that layover time.

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,170 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Layover Time

SloppyEats, I have much more trouble finding cabs at Jamaica Station than I do at JFK. Jamaica Station doesn't have one clear exit or a taxi rank, and there are a lot of shifty characters hanging around at street level.

Okinawa Prefecture...
Level Contributor
38 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Layover Time

Thanks for the info! Do you think taking the airtrain to Jamaica Station and then cabbing it from there would be faster than just getting a cab straight from JFK? Any ideas on security wait times (I know this can really vary) once arriving at LGA around 6:30 p.m. (early June on a weekday)? They will be doing online check in for the LGA flight so hopefully that will help with not having to check in at the counter.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
846 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Layover Time

The heaviest traffic will probably be heading up the Van Wyck. Anything you can do to avoid that will speed the trip along. I can't predict what the security line will look like but depending on the airline/terminal, it can get awfully backed up.

Edited: 02 May 2014, 18:59
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
846 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Layover Time

Well you can always call a car service.

8. Re: Layover Time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 May 2015, 06:16