We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pregnant in New York

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Pregnant in New York

Hi all, im looking for advice I will be 2nd trimester of pregnancy when I visit NY with my family, we want to do the touristy things and shopping etc. Im worried that It will take it out of me and I will be very tired/ unable to do anything!! Has anyone successfully done it??

Also, Im worried if anything goes wrong, where are the maternity hospitals in Manhattan? We are staying near times square. Where can I get a list of names and addresses of good maternity hospitals?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,587 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pregnant in New York

You should discuss this with your doctor. You should have travel insurance!!!

americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/travel…

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,845 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pregnant in New York

You need travel insurance. Maternity care is one of those things in the US which can be insanely expensive, to the tune of $50,000 if you do not have insurance.

I have a child, but I don't know of special maternity hospitals; in NYC, there are rather maternity wards in large hospitals. I personally think Beth Israel at 350 E 17th is the most forward-looking and best. We had our kid at Roosevelt at 58th and 10th, and it was an overcrowded madhouse at the time. We've used NYU Langone at 560 First Avenue for other services and they have a well-regarded maternity ward.

THAT SAID. Your insurance provider may only have a contract with a few hospitals, so you will probably be restricted as to which hospitals you can go to. This is a conversation you must have with your medical insurance provider rather than with any of us.

DO NOT ENTER A US HOSPITAL WITHOUT INSURANCE.

Mentioned in this post
The Roosevelt Hotel
The Roosevelt Hotel
9,836 Reviews
New York City, NY
Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,403 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pregnant in New York

Here is a list of NYC hospitals with Neonatal Intensive Care units (which you would want if you had a premature delivery) nyc.gov/html/…dir-nyc-nicu-hosp.pdf But let's all assume that is will not be needed!!!!

Some people have easy pregnancies and some don't. It can even vary from one pregnancy to the next for the same woman.

As you build your itinerary, you may want to plan on stopping for sit down appetizers, snacks, beverages to rest and use the bathroom.

What time of year are you traveling? This will make a difference. If it's during the dead of summer, be sure to have some indoor ideas in mind.

Mentioned in this post
Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pregnant in New York

Thanks for that, I have no worries about the actual travelling bit. Its more when I am there IF something should unexpectedly go wrong and I wouldn't know where to go? My doc is in Ireland so doubt he will know where the hospitals are!!

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pregnant in New York

Thanks Christnp2, exactly what i was looking for.. just to keep mind at ease!!

not going until september

Hove, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
3,028 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pregnant in New York

"You should have travel insurance!!!"

Absolutely.

Except that because pregnancy is a pre-existing condition it almost certainly won't be covered UNLESS the travel insurance was purchased well in advance of the pregnancy being confirmed.

I don't want to be a killjoy but have you any idea how much it would cost you out of pocket if your travel insurance doesn't cover you? (I actually don't know, but I expect it to be several thousand dollars).

Also agree with nywhizz about speaking to your doctor as you may well need a 'fit to fly' letter for the airline.

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pregnant in New York

I have travel insurance which covers me for pregnancy/ maternity related care up to 32 weeks so I will be covered

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,210 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Pregnant in New York

First of all, many of us have been pregnant in New York. Every pregnancy is different. Second trimester tends to be a time when you have a lot of energy and feel pretty good, but it is different for every woman.

I had my baby at NYU-Langone, they have a FABULOUS maternity ward, but again, be aware that in case of an emergency, treatment will be expensive. How expensive cannot be overemphasized. I will admit that I traveled abroad in my second trimester without insurance, but my rational was that it was early enough that if something went wrong, there wasn't going to be much they could do for me, whether I had insurance or not, and if I had to come home very quickly I would take the risk of having to buy a last minute plane ticket. I did take the names of the English speaking doctors near my hotel. You have to assess your tolerance for risk when you make a plan.

All that said, pregnancy is not a disease. You should make sure there's time built into your itinerary for resting, and feel comfortable sending the rest of your family along to the next thing if you need a break at the hotel, but as long as you're havng a healthy, normal pregnancy, the chances of something going wrong once you're out of your first trimester drop dramatically. Enjoy yourself! It's harder to travel after the baby comes (though I still manage to do it succesfully).

Mentioned in this post
Hove, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
3,028 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pregnant in New York

That's good, you should be ok then :-)

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,210 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Pregnant in New York

And you will not need a "fit to fly" letter. Second trimester, people! She's not about to pop or anything.