We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brick Lane Curry House.

Southend
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Brick Lane Curry House.

I want to visit this place as it was featured on Man vs Food. Do you have to book in advance or can you just roll up and get a table?

USA
Level Contributor
14,659 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Brick Lane Curry House.

I walked in one weekday afternoon and checked out their buffet, the place had two tables occupied. The buffet was nothing impressive and I went elsewhere for lunch that day.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,000 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brick Lane Curry House.

I've eaten there (East Village location) for dinner on a weekend and we booked through OpenTable just a few hours in advance. Can't remember how many empty table there were by the time we got there...if you had had to wait, I don't think it would have been for very long.

Mentioned in this post
East Village
East Village
100 Reviews
New York City, NY
Southend
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Brick Lane Curry House.

I'll give it a try.

Thanks.

USA
Level Contributor
14,659 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Brick Lane Curry House.

How was the food Fran?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,000 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Brick Lane Curry House.

I like it - we get takeout from there from time to time as well...we live in Flatiron, but they have a large delivery range!

My husband eats the Man vs. Food spicy curry every time; he has no problem with it. But he also went around Sri Lanka last year asking everywhere for ghost peppers. :)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
8,236 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Brick Lane Curry House.

Phaal curry is very spicy ...but it is doable....I have done it a few times.

Sigiri a Sri Lankan restaurant down the block from Brick Lane Curry has some serious spicy stuff as well.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
26,820 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Brick Lane Curry House.

I love these types of threads.

Here I am 730am in Sydney thinking about curry, jotting down ideas for next visit. Salivating.

I don't mind the 'spice' as long as there's equal flavour that goes with it. On the other hand, I've had some curries with serious heat but felt it wasn't all that tasty. Fragrance seems to have a lot to do with it.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
8,236 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Brick Lane Curry House.

A good curry is suppose to have just the right amount of spice to accentuate the flavor, aroma and compliment the type of meant/vegetable cooking into it.

Indian food changes from region to region and it is mostly the curries from Andhra region (south India). that are super spicy. Most of North India is not that spicy.

Phaal curry is more of a dare and is not a traditional Indian curry. In-fact it originated in Birmingham, UK and most people in India probably won't even know what Phaal is. Just like my Italians friends have not heard of Alrfredo sauce in Italy :)

Also, Chicken Tikka Masala is British. Indians eat butter chicken.

Check out Gordan Ramsay ...trying the original Butter Chicken ....in New Delhi ....that started it all..!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5MlJ3Us10k

Notice the gravy is Orange in color as compared to the red-ish color you see in UK/USA/Canada etc. It is because they substitute tomato with puree here. The difference in flavor is quite significant.

Edited: 03 May 2014, 22:53
Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
12,632 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Brick Lane Curry House.

idrinkwater knows his curries.

Indian food doesn't necessarily need to be spicy. I've had some delicious curries over the years that didn't have much heat. Also high heat level can have negative consequences as it can kill or alter your palate just enough to not enjoy the rest of the meal.

It would be hard for me to ever try Brick Lane with the great Malai Marke a few doors down.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
8,236 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Brick Lane Curry House.

Thanks Ziggy...you know i am serious about curry :)

Infact, curry itself is a British term. No-one in India say ...." hey..lets go eat curry today." If you goto a restaurant in India and ask for Curry ..they will be like "WHAT"...

Infact, they will serve you Kadi or Karhi which is a traditional Punjabi vegetarian dish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kadhi

Also, I found Brick Lane Curry to be pretty underwhelming to be honest. I agree with Ziggy that Malai Marke is probably the best in that whole avenue in my opinion. It is the Man v Food Phaal challenge that made BLC famous.

You can get Phaal at other rest. as well.

Dhabha is also pretty good. Infact that the owner of Malai Marke, Dhabha, Chote Nawal and Kokum is the same....no wonder they are all good.