We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Theater weekend, Day 1

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
12,073 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Theater weekend, Day 1

Our flight arrived about 40 minutes early, gate wasn't quite ready, but we were still off the plane ahead of schedule.

Bought and loaded a metro card, took the Q70 express bus with the intent of transferring to the E train, which has a stop very near our hotel.

Unfortunately, there was a derailment around 10:30 AM on the F express train line, and the only train running from the 74th/Roosevelt station (the bus stops right at the door) was the 7--so we took it to Times Square and decided to walk to our hotel (Hilton Garden Inn on 54th), which took <15 minutes, as it was a beautiful day.

Our room was ready (it was about 1PM), which was a bonus; they asked if we wanted a high floor (we did for the quiet) and our beautiful, but not very big, room is on the 30th floor. Every hotel staff person we've met has been extremely pleasant and helpful. Love the $159 rate from the travelzoo code that had been posted on TA.

Went to lunch at Totto Ramen (52/9th)--had to wait about 25 minutes, but the food was delish and it was cheap. The wait was longer hen we left at 2:15 than when we arrived. While we were waiting, I had asked the hostess how hot a particular dish labeled spicy was--she said not very, and stopped by the table to make sure it wasn't too hot for me.

Got to TKTS at 2:30 and were walking away with great seats to "Once" at 3:30. It was our 3rd choice, but a show we wanted to see.

Walked back to the hotel to relax a bit and get ready for the evening.

Dinner at Pongsri Thai (48th/8th)--very pretty restaurant, excellent food, quite reasonable, close to the theater.

Three of us loved Once; DH didn't. IMHO, not your ordinary B'wy show, but great performances, fun music.

All in all, an excellent 1st day. I love NY!!

Mentioned in this post
The Roosevelt Hotel
The Roosevelt Hotel
9,836 Reviews
New York City, NY
Times Square
Times Square
44,136 Reviews
New York City, NY
Totto Ramen
Totto Ramen
779 Reviews
New York City, NY
Pongsri Thai Restaurant
Pongsri Thai Restaurant
643 Reviews
New York City, NY
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,587 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Theater weekend, Day 1

Sounds wonderful! What other shows do you hope/plan to see?

Russell, KY
Level Contributor
4,361 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Theater weekend, Day 1

Terrific! I loved "Once" so much that I saw it twice. :-)

I'm a theater nut, too, so I'm looking forward to your updates.

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Theater weekend, Day 1

I've seen Once in London and loved it.

I'm leaving for NY a week tomorrow and four shows planned for the 5 days I'm there, I can't wait!

Interested to see what other shows you see.

Mentioned in this post
The London NYC
The London NYC
3,819 Reviews
New York City, NY
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,000 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Theater weekend, Day 1

Have a wonderful weekend, Andee!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
12,073 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Theater weekend, Day 1

We're seeing Act One this afternoon, Tommy Tune tonight, Buyer and Cellar tomorrow night. Hope to get Mothers and Sons or The Realistic Jones at TKTS for tomorrow afternoon.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,587 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Theater weekend, Day 1

Very anxious to hear about Tommy Tune show.;)

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
12,073 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Theater weekend, Day 1

I'm to tally nuts for him

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
592 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Theater weekend, Day 1

FYI -- Didn't like Realistic Jones -- Mothers and sons was amazing!

9. Re: Theater weekend, Day 1

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 May 2015, 06:15