We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New York Trip May 2014

Wirral
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
New York Trip May 2014

Hi,

I'm coming to New York with my wife to celebrate our 25th wedding Anniversary at the end of this month and am wondering how much spending money to bring. The flights are all booked, hotel booked and we have a New York Pass each so it's basically food spend and any extras. We're coming from the UK and staying for 5 nights, any hints and tips would be great.

Thanks

Oh and by the way I love the Showtime series Nurse Jackie and would appreciate any tips on locations etc,

Cheers

Edited: 04 May 2014, 02:00
Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,747 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New York Trip May 2014

This is a really hard question for us to answer because we have no idea of where you want to eat, how much alcohol you will be drinking, whether you plan on doing any shopping and whether you plan on buying souvenirs.

You can get by on $10pp per meal or you can go 5 star and spend $200-300pp per meal before drinks, tax and tip. Same with souvenirs. You could buy a $2 pen or a $100 jacket for a sports team.

The best way to answer this is to think about the sorts of things you still have to spend money on and how much you are willing to spend these things. Only you can answer this questions. Just remember to factor in tax and tip.

Wirral
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New York Trip May 2014

Thanks for that,

Tax I understand but tipping for a UK resident is confusing!! If for example I spend $30 on a diner meal, what should I tip? Also we're coming on 23rd May what might the weather be doing??

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,207 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New York Trip May 2014

My understanding is that tipping is usually 20% in NYC. However, you tip on the amount before tax, which will be on your bill. A lot of places we ate had suggested tip amounts on the bill. I think maybe 18%, 20% and 25% with the respective dollar amounts for your bill. I didn't check to make sure these were before tax. Some places you can do a multiple of the tax to figure out the tip, but I don't remember what the tax % is in NYC.

We can't predict the weather any better than you can in the UK. I'd just check the weather forecast right before you come. I use www.weather.com which is pretty good for a temp range but not as good for which days will be rainy. (Although it actually did pretty well on that for our April trip.)

Scotland
Level Contributor
241 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New York Trip May 2014

As said above it all depends on what your food tastes will be - you can eat as cheap or as expensive as you wish, there are loads of options, likewise with shopping.

I would say the best purchase for me every time I visit is the 7 day unlimited metrocard ($31) which allows you to use the subway and buses as many times as you like. It's great for hopping on and off to get to places a bit quicker and to give your legs a rest.

There is a guide to tipping on this forum which is very helpful:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-c71510/New-Yor…

and remember to take a few $1 dollar bills to leave for housekeeping. I tend to leave $2 every morning with a note saying thank you.

5. Re: New York Trip May 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 May 2015, 06:16