We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luxury/Charming hotel near Lincoln Cntr.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
38 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Luxury/Charming hotel near Lincoln Cntr.

My 14 year old daughter and I plan to visit NYC in June for four days to see the ballet at Lincoln Center. I would love recommendation for fabulous hotel near Lincoln Center, Central Park, etc.

Price is not an issue, although I'd like to keep room rate under $1,000 per night. What's important is to give her a feel for NY, so fabulous quaint hotel would be wonderful with lots of charm. Something a 14 year old would love. She loves the ballet, museum of natural history, etc. She's a wonderful girl, whose had to face cancer (turned out benign) this year, so I want to give her a trip that's full of wonderful memories:)

We have reciprocal at NYC Athletic Club, so that is my fall back plan. Room rates are inexpensive, and location is good:) Thanks for any and all input!!!

Montreal
Level Contributor
1,979 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luxury/Charming hotel near Lincoln Cntr.

If price is no object, you could check out the Mandarin Oriental. The views must be incredible since the lobby of the hotel is on the 35th floor! There is the Trump tower next door. If you like smaller, boutique hotels, you could look at the Empire, the Hudson and the 6 Columbus....although those boutique hotels have small rooms if you only book their regular ones. If your daughter is a fan of Gossip Girl, the Empire is where they used to film. Come back and tell us your choice!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,970 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Luxury/Charming hotel near Lincoln Cntr.

While the Empire lobby is lovely, the rooms there are quite small. I think Mandarin Oriental or Trump International while not "charming" Are the nicest options near Lincoln Center. Have. Look on

Oyster.com

at photos.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
38 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Luxury/Charming hotel near Lincoln Cntr.

Thank you for the suggestions. I'll look at them all. We will have only a few days, so something easy to get to/from will be great. Also, do you think concierge at these hotels can help us get to Statue of Liberty ferry fairly quickly? Or is easiest way by train? I lived on Upper West Side years ago (1986) and that's how I got there, but I"m not sure that's the best way to travel with a 14 year old girl whose never been to the city.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
38 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Luxury/Charming hotel near Lincoln Cntr.

Do you think MO is better located than Four Seasons? Also, we don't need/really want to spend $1000 on a room per night, but that seems the going rate for the bigger hotels. Any other suggestions would be greatly welcomed. We have so little time that I don't want to spend it in a cab or on the train if we can help it. Would like to see any of the big spots: Museum of Natural History, Central Park, Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building or Ground Zero memorial, shopping along the way, and then the ballet (ABT) at Lincoln Center. The ballet is the highlight and purpose of our trip. Any thing else will be a bonus. Museum is 2nd on the list. Thanks for your help,

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Luxury/Charming hotel near Lincoln Cntr.

The Mandarin Oriental would be my first choice too. Five minute walk to Lincoln Center. Two stops on the uptown B or C train to the museum. Extremely well-located - easy access to a very busy subway station with multiple lines (the A, B, C, D and 1). Train is much faster than a taxi. I'm not sure what difference a 14 year old girl makes to the equation of taking the subway. Are you implying safety? It isn't any faster or slower with or without a 14 year old girl. You lived here - you know subway is fastest and safest.

Mandarin Oriental would be very nice.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,891 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Luxury/Charming hotel near Lincoln Cntr.

OP lived here in 1986. Subway is much much better than you remember

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,047 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Luxury/Charming hotel near Lincoln Cntr.

I'm just an occasional visitor. On our last visit we stayed at the Empire. Great lobby, great little rooftop with fantastical views. Fabulous location. But there wasn't even space to put our suitcases down. They had to stay in the ensuite or on the bed. 'Tiny' is an understatement. However, it was only $250 a night so who's complaining. :-))

Surrey
Level Contributor
2,395 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Luxury/Charming hotel near Lincoln Cntr.

I was very disappointed with my stay at the Empire and have not been back which is a pity as it is in a great location. For me the hotel is the opposite of "charming". It tries to be trendy and stylish but instead the atmosphere is soulless, impersonal and rather grubby (like a nightclub during the daytime). We had an extra large double room (can't remember exact terminology) and it was small and didn't even have proper hanging space for clothes!

Cambridge, MA
Level Contributor
1,346 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Luxury/Charming hotel near Lincoln Cntr.

Perhaps consider one of the Vista Suites at the all suites London Hotel (thelondonnyc.com). While hardly quaint and charming, these suites offer spectacular cityscape views and the location is very close to Central Park and not far from Lincoln Center. Vista Suite rates in June are around $600 a night.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
38 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Luxury/Charming hotel near Lincoln Cntr.

Thank you for your Help. Anyone hear anything about the rooms at the NY Athletic Club?