We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heading to NY for the World Science Festival

Tampa, Florida
7 posts
Save Topic
Heading to NY for the World Science Festival

May29-june 1 is the world Science Festival in NYC, and I am heading up, but wondering if I will be able to stay in the city for the 175/night that I would spend at the LaGUardia Plaza hotel. I obviously don't expect to have the same accommodations in the city(Size of room mainly), but would really prefer not to share a bathroom if at all possible.

Thanks.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,812 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Heading to NY for the World Science Festival

You can easily find a place in Manhattan for that price.

Look at Trivago.com

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
20,837 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Heading to NY for the World Science Festival

I disagree. For your dates, $175 is not sufficient to find a decent place in Manhattan without a shared bath. Which Manhattan options are you seeing on Trivago? Other than the Carter and Hotel Pennsylvania, I see nothing (Anthony, DON'T stay at either of these hotels!)

I know your starting point is the $175 price you can get at the Laguardia Plaza Hotel, but think about the maximum amount you are willing to spend to be somewhere more convenient (and fun!). It will greatly affect the quality of your trip.

You may want to consider staying in Long Island City (a neighborhood in Queens with VERY quick subway access to Manhattan). The Vetiver is available on Booking.com for $166 + tax, with breakfast and WiFi and free cancellation.

Not all LIC hotels are located near a subway station, so ask for forum advice if you decide to look at other LIC options I would seriously consider booking the Vetiver, then maybe looking for last minute deals (though it's already nearly last minute).

Tampa, Florida
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Heading to NY for the World Science Festival

Do some hotels let you check your bags if you are leaving after the room checkout time? If I could cut one night from the stay, I could pay more per night for 3 nights?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
9,324 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Heading to NY for the World Science Festival

Every hotel I've ever stayed at will let you leave bags if your room isn't ready when you arrive and if you're out and about after checkout.

The hotel we're staying in right now has a noon check-out; we're leaving our bags until 4 when we head for the airport.

Priceline is another option; read betterbidding and biddingfortravel to learn how to bid.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,812 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Heading to NY for the World Science Festival

I just checked on trivago.com for May 29-June 1.

I got the following in Manhattan :

Jane Hotel - $125 per night.

Hotel 31 - $135 per night.

Hotel 17 - $152 per night.

There were a few more for under $175 per night.

Jane is a pretty good hotel. I have been there for brunch.

I have had friends stay both at Hotel 31 and Hotel 17 ( friends from abroad stay for a week last week).

I have been to both of them. They are not too fancy but they do the job.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
20,837 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Heading to NY for the World Science Festival

Good suggestions above if you are willing to forgo the private bathroom.

For just a bit over budget ($165 + tax), you could stay at Pod51 in a room with double bed and private bath. These are tiny but efficiently designed rooms, and there are guest activities that could be appealing when traveling alone.

It looks like most of the events are taking place at NYU. The Blue Hotel Tribeca is nearby and has a room with private bath for $183. Read reviews - they are mixed but this is a budget hotel. That rate is on Booking.com - I haven't checked the hotel's own website to compare.

This hotel doesn't often come up on the forum, so I checked its status on the NYC Dept of Bldgs website. It appears to be certified for hotel use. (Illegal residential conversion hotels in NYC are a problem - but this appears legit)

Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
5,306 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Heading to NY for the World Science Festival

There are several hotel in Flushing within your budget. They would be within walking distance of the subway unlike the ones by LGA. Flushing is just east of LGA. The Parc Hotel opened just recently.

Tampa, Florida
7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Heading to NY for the World Science Festival

If I'll be able to check my bags at the front for the last day, my budget is a bit higher, as I was expecting to stay through Sunday night, so I'm looking at places on expedia for 800 for the duration of my trip with a flight. Is the King and Grove a nice place? How about ONE UN New York?

Thanks so much for your help guys. I really appreciate it.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
20,837 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Heading to NY for the World Science Festival

That will be much easier. Do you know about the TA hotel reviews? A number of recent reviews indicate that the King & Grove is undergoing renovation and their lobby is closed (no restaurant or bar). If that doesn't matter to you, it could be a good option. tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d125274-…

One UN could be an okay choice. Read reviews and look at photos. It's an older hotel that is undergoing renovations. Non-renovated rooms are tired. They charge for WiFi (looks like that's $13/day)

Don't limit yourself to only hotels presented by Expedia with a flight package. Such packages are not always the best value. Sometimes you can find better hotel deals independent of the Expedia packaging.

Is it correct that most of your events will be at NYU? Wouldn't you prefer to stay closer? Looking on Kayak.com, I'm seeing good pricing for Hotel East Houston, linking to Priceline. $197 + tax, includes WiFi. It's near East Village and Lower East Side and about a 10 min walk from NYU. It's a cool area to stay.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,100 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Heading to NY for the World Science Festival

Country Inn & Suites is showing rooms for $170 on your dates. I haven't stayed there myself but it gets a lot of love on TA as a decent alternative to Manhattan.

Priceline are showing a 4* in the financial district for $178 if you look at the express deals. My guess is that's the Marriott. Also showing a 3.5* Midtown East for $174. Either of those would be fine I'm sure.