We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alternative clothing Stores

Sunderland, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Alternative clothing Stores

Me and my partner are going to NY soon and would both really love to go shopping for some new clothes. We like 'alternative' 'skate' style brands such as Famous Stars and Straps, Iron Fist, Atticus, LoungeFly etc. So was wondering if anyone could suggest a good area to stop in or a few great stores to hit that would satisfy our needs! Think www.loserkids.com but a store!

Edited: 05 May 2014, 20:13
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
3,818 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alternative clothing Stores

Several of the brands on that website have standalone stores in NYC, i.e. Element, Hurley, etc. Personally, I think the Superdry stores and Uniqlo have cool tshirts, maybe not the whole "look" but parts of it. I'm especially partial to Uniqlo's famous artists's series, this year they have tshirts with designs by Andy Warhol, Basquiat, and Keith Haring. Also Kid Robot on Prince Street in Soho has interesting tshirts although they're somewhat toned down from what they used to be.

You will find a variety of chain stores in the Times Square area that will carry skate style stuff, also wander though Soho and the Villages for more edgy stuff.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
3,818 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alternative clothing Stores

And be sure to check out the basement level Men's store in the main Bloomingdales on Lexington at 59th. A huge selection of cool tshirts, shoes, and other wear, some pricey, some less pricey.

Castleford, United...
Level Contributor
217 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alternative clothing Stores

Zumiez at 840 north broadway sells some decent skate gear. Good helpful staff also.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,556 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alternative clothing Stores

Uniqlo has special edition MOMA shirts at the moment. Scott S

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alternative clothing Stores

Seriously alternative clothing stores would be something like Trash & Vaudeville on St. Mark's (between 3rd and 2nd Aves) in the East Village. That's more of 80s style street punk clothing. St. Mark's would probably to cool to cruise down anyways.

Shawn

http://nytourguy.blogspot.com/

http://instagram.com/nytourguy

Sunderland, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Alternative clothing Stores

Ah yeah I had ear-marked Trash & Vaudeville for a visit! Thanks for the suggestions - any more are very welcome!

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alternative clothing Stores

Blades down in the Village on Broadway is a good option.

Suffolk
Level Contributor
77 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alternative clothing Stores

We found Yellow Rat B*****d on Broadway, had to go twice, spent loads, a great shop with loads of clothing not available in the UK

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Alternative clothing Stores

^ Good call.

10. Re: Alternative clothing Stores

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 May 2015, 05:16