We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New York City - 5 day itinerary

Birmingham
Level Contributor
7 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
New York City - 5 day itinerary

Hi everyone,

Me and my boyfriend are off to NYC in November (A while to wait yet I know!) for five nights, 13th - 18th. I have been before but my boyfriend hasn't, so we will be doing all the normal touristy things. I have done an itinerary for the five days and I was hoping I could get some feedback on whether our plans are doable in the time in which we have or of course any tips and ideas are greatly appreciated! Let me know what you think!!....

Wed 13th Nov

Flying with Virgin, hopefully land around 5:30pm, grab a yellow cab to our hotel (ROW NYC near Times Square). Freshen up and head to the Times Square and grab something quick to eat and have a wonder around. Then back to the hotel for hopefully a good sleep!

Thurs - 14th Nov

Breakfast somewhere quick and then head to the subway to Battery Park to see SOL (We will have booked tickets in advance with StatueCrusies). Do you have to go to Ellis Island, or can we catch a ferry back to Battery Park and miss Ellis Island out? Then on to the 9/11 Memorial (Nearer the time we will book the time slot). Walk around the Financial District to see the bull, Wall St etc and have a quick snack somewhere. I was then hoping to get the subway to Brooklyn and walk the Brooklyn Bridge back to Battery Park. Head back to our hotel and go out for dinner and maybe some cocktails.

Fri 15th Nov (My Birthday!!)

Breakfast, then on to Central Park/ Central Park Zoo/ ice-skating, grab a snack and then to Apple Shop and FAO Schwarz. Back to hotel to get ready for my birthday meal, Club A Steak House? any suggestions on nice restaurants are welcome, but we do love a nice steak! Then maybe some cocktails somewhere!

Sat 16th Nov

Breakfast, Grand Central Station/ Chrysler Building/ shopping etc grab a snack, maybe people watch in Bryant Park and then go to Top Of the Rock for a sunset view! Back to hotel to freshen up and head to Planet Hollywood.

Sun 17th Nov

Breakfast, then American Museum of Natural History and the MET, spend a few hours at both museums and then to Greenwich Village. Back to hotel to get ready for Cocktails in The Strand (recommended by a Friend) then to the Empire State for a night time view of the City. Grab pizza or something easy to take back to the hotel and start to pack to go back home :(

Mon 18th Nov

After breakfast I am not sure what to do on the last day. The plan was to check out, but leave our luggage at the hotel and see things that we haven’t had chance to see. Can anyone give me some advice in what we can do? Our flight isn’t until 7:45pm so we have the morning and part of the afternoon to do as we please.

Thanks for reading! If you have any thoughts or ideas let me know!

I know I am very early in planning, and nothing is set in stone but I am just trying to get an outline of our trip.

Sam :)

Center Moriches...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New York City - 5 day itinerary

Looks pretty good. Regarding the 9/11 Memorial: you will not need tickets to get in. The museum, yes, memorial, no. You can skip Ellis Island if you choose. There are a wide variety of restaurants close to your hotel over on 9th Avenue. Best to get out of Times Square for better dining. Think your Saturday could fit more in. Suggest moving one or both museum visits to this day. This also frees up more time for your Greenwich Village day, which deserves more time.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,377 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New York City - 5 day itinerary

Much of what I will say expands on Chris's advice above:

Nov 13th - take a look at Times Square lit up in all its neon glory, but don't eat there. Your hotel is on Eighth Avenue at 44th Street, and easy stroll into the heart of Hell's Kitchen. Here's a Hell's Kitchen eating guide from regular NYC forum poster Ziggy:

eatingwithziggy.com/2013/…

Nov 14th - once the 9/11 Museum open later this month, timed tickets to the 9/11 Memorial will no longer be required. The Memorial will still be free; the Museum will not be free.

Nov 15th - Happy Birthday! The only place I have ever heard of Club A Steakhouse is here on Trip Advisor. TA is a great resource for many things, but NOT for restaurant recommendations!! If you want a steakhouse, I'd suggest BLT Prime...you can go out for cocktails in the Flatiron District afterwards. Or Old Homestead...you can go out in the Meatpacking District afterwards. The steak at Minetta Tavern in the Village is also often recommended by forum regulars...another great area to go out in after dinner.

Nov 16th - the holiday market and ice skating rink will already be open in Bryant Park, if that is of interest to you. Do you really want to go to Planet Hollywood? Know that you're going for the kitschy scene as a tourist, not because you should be expecting a great meal at a fair price.

Nov 17th - don't try to do both AMNH and the Met in one day. Do one of them this day and then head down to explore and go out in a neighborhood there: Greenwich Village (if you weren't there on your birthday), Chelsea, Flatiron, SoHo, etc.

Nov 18th - do the other big museum this morning, then go somewhere you didn't get to - or want to return to - in the afternoon.

Have a great trip!

Edited: 06 May 2014, 17:06
Birmingham
Level Contributor
7 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New York City - 5 day itinerary

Hi guys!

Thank you for your input. I think we may leave one of the museums for another day as you both said. I have read a lot of good reviews about Greenwich Village, so we will definitely make some more time to explore it properly.

We have a few months to wait, but I am so excited!

Thanks again,

Sam

Edited: 07 May 2014, 10:14
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New York City - 5 day itinerary

I third Chris' advice about moving one of the museums to Saturday, which is rather light on activities otherwise. In fairness to everyone asking about Club A (I've seen others here echo frangipani's statement) it is also extremely highly rated on Yelp (4.5 stars!), menupages, opentable, google places, foursquare, and other user reviewed platforms. The high marks come from both tourists and locals alike. I haven't been, but it occupies this weird online space where it gets no mainstream or food media coverage and yet everyone who dines there appears to love it. I would also recommend Keen's personally for a great steakhouse.

Shawn

http://nytourguy.blogspot.com/

http://instagram.com/nytourguy

Level Contributor
35,434 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New York City - 5 day itinerary

Do you want to see a play? The Lion King is an excellent choice. :).

Birmingham
Level Contributor
7 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New York City - 5 day itinerary

Hi again!

Thanks for posting Shawn, I think moving one of the museums to the Saturday is what we will do. Also, I have read so many good reviews on TA for Club A, it looks delicious!! - Thank you for the links too!

Syrahgirl, I would love to watch a show, but Alex (boyfriend) isn't one for going to the theatre. Hopefully by the time we go, I will have convinced him to go! :-)

If anyone can recommend anything which is a 'must' while in NYC or any good (but cheap) places to eat; Diners, pizza places, bakery’s…. please let me know! :-)

Thanks again everyone! :-)

Center Moriches...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New York City - 5 day itinerary

I like Chinatown for reasonable dining. Koreatown is also a good choice on West 32nd between 5th and 6th Avenues. Food Gallery 32 is very reasonable. Tables upstairs.

9th Avenue just west of Times Square is also a good neighborhood to find budget dining. NYC law says all restaurants must post menu in their window making comparison shopping easy.

Birmingham
Level Contributor
7 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New York City - 5 day itinerary

Thank you for the tips on places to eat Chris and for the info about how restaurants have to post their menus on the window, I didn’t know that, but that will be a big help! :-)

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
309 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New York City - 5 day itinerary

I'm going from the UK for 7 nights in November and my itinerary is looking like this. Mostly put together from trip reports, hints, tips and recommendations on here!

Day 1

Arrive JFK (evening arrival)

Air train to Jamaica. Then the E train (subway) to Lexington Ave 51st/53rd street.

Empire State Building open till 2am, last elevator 1.15am.

Day 2 (FINANCIAL DISTRICT)

Buy 7 day metro card

Subway to Bowling Green station

Walk through Battery Park

9am - Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island

Charging Bull Statue/Bowling Green Park,

Walk up Wall St, NYSE, Trinity Church

9/11 Tribute Centre, 9/11 Memorial,

St Paul's Chapel, NYFD Memorial Wall

Shopping @ Century 21

Times Square in the evening (and Times Square museum)

Day 3 (thanksgiving) - CENTRAL PARK/MIDTOWN

6.30am start - Central Park west for Macys parade

Ice skating at Rockefeller centre

TOTR before sunset for day views qand watch sunset

Thanksgiving dinner at Rock centre cafe/Loeb Boathouse

Rockettes Christmas spectacular at radio city

Day 4 - MIDTOWN

Breakfast with a toy soldier @ FAO Schwarz - 9am

5th Avenue and Shopping - Lord & Taylor, Bloomingdales, Macys

Chrysler building

Grand Central Station - Juniors for cheesecake. whispering gallery by the oyster bar

New York Public Library

Flatiron building

Bryant park - Christmas market and ice skating

Dinner & Dizzys coca cola jazz club - 9pm session

Day 5 - BROOKLYN

Catch the subway to Brooklyn

Brooklyn flea market/smorgasbord

Brooklyn Bridge Park

Lunch @ Juliana's Pizza or Grimaldi's Pizza

Brooklyn ice cream factory

Dumbo, Jane’s Carousel

Brooklyn Heights Promenade

Walk Brooklyn Bridge back to Manhattan

Pre theatre Dinner @ The Capital Grille

8pm tickets to WIcked

Day 6 - CHELSEA/GREENWICH VILLAGE

High Line Walk

Chelsea market

Lunch @ the Markets (Los Tacos no. 1)

Greenwich Village - Barrow St to find the ’friends’ apartment block, Bleecker street for the Magnolia Bakery, Perry St to see ‘Carrie’s Steps’

Grenwich walking tour: https://maps.google.com/maps/ms…

Dinner at The Spotted pig or Little Owl (reserve ASAP 1st day reservations open up approx. 1 month in advance).

Day 7 - CENTRAL PARK

Sarabeths for breakfast, Central Park south

Central Park - Bethesda fountain, belvedere castle, strawberry fields, imagine mosaic, Shakespeare's garden

Alice's teacup for afternoon tea

Columbus circle - whole foods

Trump towers

Dyker Heights Christmas lights & Cannoli

Dinner - Gramercy Tavern/River Cafe

Day 8 (last day) - CHINATOWN/SOHO

F line subway to 2nd av

Breakfast at Clinton St baking company - blueberry pancakes to die for/

Katzs delicatessen - East Houston street

Tenement museum Hard Times tour

South Street Seaport?

Eat at Lombardis (fab bruschetta) or Eataly (calzone)

SoHo

Chinatown - souvenir shopping. Chinese ice cream factory.

Canal street

Dinner at Toloache

NC
Level Contributor
864 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New York City - 5 day itinerary

UKCaroline--you need to start your own thread.....