We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public Restrooms tips & Secrets

New York City
Level Contributor
5,366 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Public Restrooms tips & Secrets

I thought Id share my public restrooms tips. Its not true there are no public restrooms in NYC, You just have to know where to look and how to act

There are public restrooms in Penn Station, Grand Central Terminal and The Port Authority and they are fairly clean.

There are also public restrooms in Central Park and the Staten Island Ferry Terminal

You can also use restrooms in most hotels. Almost all of them have public restrooms in the lobby area. The Marriott Marquis restroom is on the 4th Floor. Just walk into the hotel like you are staying there and look for the signs. Some hotels you need a hotel card to get in, just wait outside the door until someone comes out (Usually quickly in busier hotels) Make sure you look normal and not like a vagrant or any other threatening way. As long as you look normal , nobody will stop you

There are also public restrooms in most major depaprtment stores like Macys and Bloomingdales.

You can also use the restroom in some bars and restaurants, but a tip dont ask where it is, they wont let you use it. Just act like you are eating there and go to the back or basement of the restaurant, they all have them.

If you have smaller children, let them ask the owner "where the potty is" They will almost always let you use it.

Bathrooms are rarely "Out of Order"..They just say that to keep people out

88 replies to this topic
Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,390 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Public Restrooms tips & Secrets

Also McDonalds, of which there are several including a big one on 42nd just west of Broadway

New York, NY
Level Contributor
9,648 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Public Restrooms tips & Secrets

www.nycgovparks.org/facilities/bathrooms

There are restrooms on the SI Ferry as well as in the terminals.

The public restroom near Bryant Park is beautiful - clean, fresh flowers and attendants. (on 42nd Street).

Also, along Hudson River Park (on the west side) plenty of clean restrooms as well.

Edited: 06 May 2014, 21:47
USA
Level Contributor
13,373 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Public Restrooms tips & Secrets

Great post, here are the ones that I always remember:

Barnes and Nobles, the one in Union Square is very convenient.

Certain Starbucks have non coded bathrooms. There are three that come to mind, 2nd Avenue and 9th Street, Houston and West Broadway, and the one on 6th Avenue and Waverly Place.

Apple stores, Whole Foods, Williams and Sonoma, etc.

Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
6,335 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Public Restrooms tips & Secrets

I would agree that the Bryant Park facilities behind the library takes the prize. It is small, but confronts you with a big vase of fresh flowers as you enter. Each half has it own attendant. Do not be frighten with the seat cover device when it goes off. It is a thin plastic single use tube that travels around the seat at high speed. The used portion disappears inside the machine.

In 1966, there was a small book published called "The Better John Guide: Where To Go In New York." It gave a fixture count and a general description of major places in town. The prime location at that time was Grand Central with its vast array of fixtures and an astonishing variety of vending machines. Alas, this place is closed for far smaller facilities.

Edited: 06 May 2014, 23:09
Dallas
Level Contributor
3,212 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Public Restrooms tips & Secrets

Well, as long as we're on the subject: we are taking the SOL/Ellis Island ferry next month. Lining up (timed tickets purchased & printed) after ~45 minutes public transport to South Ferry stop. Are there restrooms for passengers either before the ferry or on the ferry? Not getting off at SOL, so need to make it all the way to Ellis Island.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
2,241 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Public Restrooms tips & Secrets

Another vote for the spotless restrooms at Bryant Park.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
468 posts
573 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Public Restrooms tips & Secrets

Bryant Park the best restrooms anywhere.

Best loo award from me too.

Edited: 07 May 2014, 07:08
Glasgow, UK
Level Contributor
47 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Public Restrooms tips & Secrets

Always good to know, thanks for posting!

uk
Level Contributor
11 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Public Restrooms tips & Secrets

Lol......I never imagined I would ever be taking pictures of a public restroom.....but the one at Bryant Park was amazing.

My niece was mortified and laughing at me last year as I was clicking away with my camera. Beautiful bathroom and so clean and the lady there said to my niece loads of people take pictures of it so she wasn't so embarrassed after that.

The flower display was lovely.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
4,364 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Public Restrooms tips & Secrets

I still think there are not many truly public restrooms for such a highly populated walking city....but....I now know where to look much better than I did on my first couple of visits. Here's one of many available sites for newcomers: http://nyrestroom.com/

Here's a kind of funny story from just yesterday:

nypost.com/2014/…

Reply to: Public Restrooms tips & Secrets
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted