We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Random...

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
253 posts
Save Topic
Random...

Well, it is for the NYC forum anyway. I had a look for a general USA forum but it doesn't exist so I'm looking for some recommendations really.

Next year, the girlfriend and I are coming to Las Vegas and then travelling to NYC before heading back over the pond. We fancy stopping somewhere else in USA and are really just looking for some suggestions. Maybe something quite different to the hussle of Vegas and NYC.

Preferably somewhere with an airport, between the two cities mentioned above and with lots to see and do.

Thank you.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,577 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Random...

How about New Orleans. Great vibe, culture and food.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,924 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Random...

If you are going to Vegas then definitely check out San Fransisco ....Yosemite ..Big Sur etc.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,577 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Random...

Savannah, Georgia. And if you choose that city, you must read John Berendts

http://www.amazon.com/Midnight-Garden-Good-Evil-Vintage-ebook/dp/B003JMFKVK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1399617287&sr=8-2&keywords=Savannah+Georgia+Land+of

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,765 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Random...

Sedona - can't get any more different and unique than vegas and nyc. But you'll need to rent a car from Phoenix. Actually I would try to fit in a road trip from Vegas that includes Zion, Page, Grand Canyon and end in Phoenix. If you have the time.

Or just go to New Orleans

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,474 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Random...

What time of year are you traveling? How long will you spend in Las Vegas? How long in NYC? How much time do you have inbetween? I like all the ideas mentioned already but time of year may affect choices.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Random...

I will second all of the suggestions above (especially New Orleans). One that gets overlooked is Texas. The areas around Austin, San Antonio, and Texas' Hill Country are filled with beautiful scenery, great food, and good music. The summer heat is brutal in TX though.

Shawn

http://nytourguy.blogspot.com/

http://instagram.com/nytourguy

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
52,414 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Random...

I think New Orleans was the overall winner on the thread you started on the Las Vegas forum. But you never told us more info to help us help you...like your age, likes/dislikes, are you definitely looking for a city or are you open to more rural actvities, do you like a lively night life scene or are you in bed at 9:00 o'clock, etc etc etc.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g45963-i10-k743797…

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
52,414 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Random...

But you did tell us you were visiting in May, 2015, I recall...

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
4,045 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Random...

Colorado. Rocky Mountain High. Denver is a cheap airport to fly in/out of. Rent a car and head west an hour or so towards Vail and surrounding areas. Spectacularly beautiful in any season. Be sure to pack some extra oxygen.

Edited: 09 May 2014, 13:49
Center Moriches...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Random...

Savannah, Georgia is beautiful. Could easily combine with Charleston, SC, another Southern belle.