We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay

Beaufort, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
3,962 posts
115 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay

Hello, we are just starting to think that we may visit New York in the next 12 months but we don't have a clue about where to stay. We are a family of 5 ( kids 14,11 and 5) and ideally would like a 2 bed apartment or a hotel with interconnecting rooms. We would have a budget of @ $150 a night but again, haven't a clue whether this would be enough. Also, are some times of the year cheaper than others? Many thanks for your advice, DOK

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay

Please understand that apartments are illegal to rent in New York City in almost all cases. It doesn't matter where you find the listing. There are a few expections.

The experts will be along with specific advice.

Beaufort, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
3,962 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay

I didn't know that. Thanks for the heads up!

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
34,830 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay

Is that $150 a night per room or for the two rooms. You are waaay low for two rooms. You may be able to stay in Queens ( depending upon when) for $150.

Beaufort, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
3,962 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay

Its $150 per night total. I don't mind staying outside the city if there are good transport links into NYC itself.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,556 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay

$150 a night for 5 people (keep in mind that room tax is an additional 15%) even in Queens, would be very tight, even unlikely.

Beaufort, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
3,962 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay

Should I increase it to $200? As I said, I don't mind travelling in from outside the city.

Russell, KY
Level Contributor
3,805 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay

When do you "think" you're coming? Time of year will affect cost.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
9,357 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay

$150 for 2 people is low - that's only $130 before taxes. Even in Long Island City Queens, I don't think it's possible for 5.

Beaufort, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
3,962 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay

@ Clanwilson, this trip probably wont happen until next year so we are open to travelling at any time. If it is cheaper at one time of the year, then we will give it serious thought. Would it be right to assume Mid January to Mid March and mid September to end of November would be quiet? Had half a mind to stay in Hoboken NJ or Riverdale ( have relations there ) but I have no idea if these areas are expensive, transport etc.

Russell, KY
Level Contributor
3,805 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay

January and February are cheaper since it's snowy and cold. Mid-September to the end of November, as you mentioned, are not "quiet." :-)

That said, I think $150 a night is still too low for five people. Remember, you'll have to add about 15% tax to the initial room cost.

You mention going up to $200, so that's equal to a $175 room plus tax.

Edited: 10 May 2014, 11:39