We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

airtrain

Medan, Indonesia
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
airtrain

Is it easy to use airtrain from JFK to times square? may i know how to do it? thanks a lot

ps. I'm staying at Crowne Plaza Times Square

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: airtrain

The Airtrain is not hard to use. After clearing customs and collecting bags, take an Airtrain to Jamaica station. You purchase metrocard when exiting. Make sure it has $7.50 on it to pay for the airtrain and the subway. After exiting the Airtrain, follow signs for the E subway line. Swipe your metrocard to enter that station, and take a Manhattan-bound E train. Take the E to 50th Street, and then it is a short walk (3-4 minutes) to the Crowne Plaza at 48th and Broadway.

Shawn

http://nytourguy.blogspot.com/

http://instagram.com/nytourguy

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: airtrain

Very easy. Often it is the easiest and fastest way to get into town.

It is well-marked and you simply follow the signs in the terminal. Board a Jamaica train.

Fare control is handled at Jamaica. There are uniformed people there to help you with purchasing your fares. No need to tip them or anything. They're very nice and helpful.

You'll follow the clearly marked signs to the Manhattan bound E train in the direction of World Trade Center. There are digital displays showing the upcoming stops. I'd recommend getting off one stop earlier at 7th Avenue station and exiting toward the front of the train for Broadway. This puts you at Broadway and 53rd St. with the Crowne Plaza directly ahead of you.

The 50th St. station is a little bit better for escalators so if that is important to you then go the one additional stop to 50th St and head upstairs to 8th Avenue and 49th Street and walk east directly into the Crowne Plaza.

The JFK AirTrain / E train is often faster and I think it is safer than being in a taxi with some crazy NYC taxi driver - it saves a lot of money too.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: airtrain

**and I think it is safer than being in a taxi with some crazy NYC taxi driver**

Geez!

A NYC taxi is just as safe as the NYC subway.

You know...NYC taxi drivers really should not be knocked each and every time you give advice on taking the train.

Edited: 10 May 2014, 16:50
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
19,595 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: airtrain

"A NYC taxi is just as safe as the NYC subway"

I have never been involved in a NYC subway accident. I have been in 4 NYC taxis that have had accidents.I agree-there are lots of crazy NYC taxi drivers.

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: airtrain

I get awakened so many times by taxi's crashing in my neighborhood. The other thing is that people don't wear seat belts in taxi's (a mystery I've never been able to figure out - I don't close the door until my seat belt is buckled). The impact throws passengers into the hard plastic divider which makes an otherwise minor crash far worse. People end up with broken teeth and broken noses and sometimes serious facial disconfiguration from being slammed into those hard plastic dividers. At least wear a seat belt!!!

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: airtrain

A taxi is just as safe. You are basing your statement on your opinion and nothing more.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,032 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: airtrain

Personally, when I return home from overseas and many hours on a plane, the last thing I want to do is deal with my luggage on the airtrain and then the subway. I am more than happy to get a cab, fasten my seatbelt and enjoy being driven to my front door.

8. Re: airtrain

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 May 2015, 06:16