We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Metro card

Cambridge
Level Contributor
119 posts
Save Topic
Metro card

We arrive at JFK on a Friday early evening and leave the following Friday evening. We plan to travel to our hotel by air train/metro. I understand that the weekly metro card starts when first swiped. If we buy the weekly card and use it to get to our hotel will it then run out on the following Thursday? If so, would it be best to buy a single ticket on the first Friday so we can use the card during the day on our leaving day?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,569 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Metro card

Use the same card. Start with putting money for the week ("Buy Time") is what you click When it expires, just do "Add Value" to add what fare you think you will need.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,268 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Metro card

Or, if you think you'll use the card more on your last day than on your first day, start by buying "value," enough for the first day's fares, and add the weekly pass to the same card the next day before your first ride.

Algoma, WI
Level Contributor
9 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Metro card

looking for good places to eat in Little Italy

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
10,088 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Metro card

Cindy, start your own thread--what you are asking has nothing to do with this one, which is titled "metrocard". Include your restaurant budget.

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Metro card

I would recommend not adding "time" until Saturday morning as the MetroCard is programmed to always start the "time" before the "value" I don't want to make this more confusing. Let's keep it simple...

The JFK AirTrain is $5.00 per person. Up to four people can share one MetroCard. Here is what I would do. I would purchase one MetroCard when you get to Jamaica (all JFK AirTrain fare control is handled at Jamaica). You say "we" so I'm assuming two people.

The JFK AirTrain is always $5.00. The unlimited ride MetroCard does not work on the JFK AirTrain. There is a separate JFK AirTrain unlimited ride MetroCard but you definitely don't want this unless you plan to go to the airport every day. You want to purchase a new MetroCard at Jamaica (one card to share among two people). You want to "enter other amounts" after you select "add value" Type in $23.85. You'll be charged $24.85 (because you'll pay $1.00 for the MetroCard). Your card will actually be valued at $25.04 (because you get a 5% bonus everytime you purchase more than $5.00). This will cover the two of you exiting the JFK AirTrain *and* the two of you riding the subway into Manhattan. Now, put the MetroCard away. Put it somewhere where you will not accidentally use it mid-week. You will not use this MetroCard again until you get back to Jamaica the following week.

Then, Saturday morning, purchase and start your unlimited ride MetroCards ($30. plus $1.00 for the card) Each person must have their own card when you're using the "unlimited"

Note that going back to JFK Airport, you're getting off the Jamaica Center bound E train at Sutphin ./ Archer / LIRR / JFK AirTrain - you do not want to go to the very last stop - Jamaica Center.

Little Italy is terrible. Nothing but overpriced mediocre restaurants for tourists who don't know any better. The real Little Italy moved to The Bronx about 20 years ago but tourists still go to Little Italy thinking they're going to get decent Italian food - big mistake. We can recommend many many excellent Italian restaurants at all price points but none in Little Italy.

Cambridge
Level Contributor
119 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Metro card

Thanks all for your replies and thank you MoreFFMiles for the very detailed step to step explanation - exactly what I needed! It will make travelling to and from our hotel so much easier.

Center Moriches...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Metro card

Several, regular posters have recommended Rubirosa in Little Italy neighborhood.

8. Re: Metro card

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 May 2015, 06:16