We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New York 8 Day Itinerary Help - June 2014

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
63 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
New York 8 Day Itinerary Help - June 2014

Hi,

Me and my girlfriend (21 y/o) are travelling to NYC for 8 days at the beginning of June. We would be very grateful if someone could look over our itinerary and see what you think and if it is possible. This is a very rough itinerary and we haven't gone into detail with it yet.

Day 1: Arrive at Edison Hotel at 1:30pm, check in by 3pm, unpack and explore the area. Dinner at Dallas BBQ then an early night.

Day 2: Midtown shopping and some sightseeing e.g. grand central, TOTR, times square etc. Try and grab a broadway show for the evening.

Day 3: Helicopter ride downtown at 10:30am, afterwards walk onto wall street then to visit the World Trade Center memorial site. Quick lunch and then walk across the Brooklyn bridge and back, maybe pass through Chinatown and Little Italy on the way home.

Day 4: Subway to Coney island and Brighton beach for the day, lunch at Nathans hotdogs then home in time for a 7:30 dinner cruise

Day 5: Start our day at Chelsea market and the Chelsea area, then down to Greenwich village for an explore, then afterwards walk down to SoHo for shopping. Possibly a comedy club and a cocktail bar planned for the night (Any reccomendations?)

Day 6: Central park zoo and 2hr bike rental around the park. After we have explored the park we plan on walking to the National Museum of Natural History and spending some time there and exploring the upper west side area.

We then have 2 spare days that we are undecided on how to fill. Would be very appreciated if someone could give us some suggestions on how to fill them and also if we should spread our itinerary out a bit more? We are not generally interested in visiting many museums but would love some recommendations on good shows to see and some lively bars and restauraunts, maybe even a good walking tour.

Thank you very much for your help

Center Moriches...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New York 8 Day Itinerary Help - June 2014

Lively bar? Try the Barcelona Bar on 8th Avenue between 54th and 55th. Ask for the Harry Potter. Note Liverpool connection. The Dakota is at 72nd Street on Central Park's west side. Enter park here for Strawberry Fields, Imagine Mosaic, Bethesda Fountain, and the Boathouse.

Lots to do in Brooklyn besides Coney Island. Williamsburg, Prospect Park, and Dumbo are worth checking out. Also explore Lower East Side/East Village neighborhoods. McSorley's and St. Mark's Place for starters.

USA
Level Contributor
12,366 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New York 8 Day Itinerary Help - June 2014

On day 2: Don't forget about the audio tour or the grand tour at Grand Central Terminal. The audio tour is self guided and available from 9:00 am to 6:00 pm, but the grand tour is guided and available at 12:30 pm.

www.grandcentralterminal.com/info/tours

On day 5: Start at the High Line and then work your way to Chelsea Market, then head to Greenwich Village, etc.

http://www.thehighline.org

Edited: 11 May 2014, 14:24
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New York 8 Day Itinerary Help - June 2014

That all looks well thought out. I love hoe TA thinks you are going to Brighton and Hove. Anyhow, some tips.

Dallas BBQ is basically a place to get cheap drunk on huge frozen drinks. And there is nothing wrong with that! But that's why that place exists. If you're looking for better BBQ near your hotel, head to Virgil's on 44th between 7th and 6th instead. My favorite BBQ in NYC so far has been Butcher Bar in Astoria, Queens. Mighty Quinn's in the East Village, and Dinosaur in Harlem.

For a comedy club on Day 5, check out Comedy Cellar on MacDougal Street. There are a thousand places to get drinks nearby (though MacDougal tends to be cheap college bars). I don't have the knowhow to even approach most of Manhattan's speakeasy/cocktail bars, so just find a place that looks small and inviting.

Shawn

http://nytourguy.blogspot.com/

http://instagram.com/nytourguy

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
63 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New York 8 Day Itinerary Help - June 2014

Thank you all very much for your advice, much appreciated

One thing I am worried about is that we have crammed too much into some of the days, so I am thinking of leaving the last 2 spare days we have to just do whatever we didn't get time to do and some last minute shopping.

We are now also considering spending more time in Brooklyn, so thanks for all the tips

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
63 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New York 8 Day Itinerary Help - June 2014

I would also like to know, is Chelsea, Greenwich village, SoHo and China Town all in walking distance of each other if we did them in that order? Google map says it is, but realistically is it possible to do that in one day?

USA
Level Contributor
12,366 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New York 8 Day Itinerary Help - June 2014

If you can handle the walking, then yeah you can do all 4 of those areas you mentioned in the same day. My advice would be to get a very early start and take breaks, plenty of places along the way to stop when a break is needed. If you're not planning on any guided walking tours, do some googling and look for self guided walking tours of those areas. Plug into google maps your route and look at the distance and time, then factor in time checking things out, eating, etc.

7. Re: New York 8 Day Itinerary Help - June 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 May 2015, 06:17