We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From NY to Boston on Memorial Day

Casablanca, Morocco
Level Contributor
172 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
From NY to Boston on Memorial Day

Hello,

I will be in New York with my family (including a 6 year old) next week and on Memorial Day we are heading to Boston.

I have 2 questions: what is the best transportation system to go to Boston from Brooklyn, NY? And do we have to expect anything special that day (trafic, travel conditions ...)

Thank you in advance

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,887 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From NY to Boston on Memorial Day

It's a heavy travel day. You should take the subway to Penn Station and then Amtrak to Boston. Buy your train tickets ASAP (and Northeast Regional trains are fine.) I imagine lower priced fares are already sold out.

Boston...
Level Contributor
6,173 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From NY to Boston on Memorial Day

On Memorial Day weekend, I would NOT drive. Horrible traffic, especially if you're nearing Boston late in the day on Memorial Day. If you must drive, avoid 95 as it will include Cape traffic up into Boston. (Many people who live in Boston have homes on Cape Cod, enjoy holiday weekends there). Take the inland route, even though there could be some traffic approaching from the Berkshires.

The best way would be to take Amtrak.

Casablanca, Morocco
Level Contributor
172 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From NY to Boston on Memorial Day

Thank you Auden, I think we will go with the train indeed. Do you think it is best to take a cab to Penn Station (as we will have luggage and with a small kid the subway can be difficult to navigate) or on Memorial Day, the subway is the best option?

Caroline, thank you as well. We will avoid renting a car then, and as I guess it is the same for the buses, the train remains the best option.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,887 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From NY to Boston on Memorial Day

Exactly where in Brooklyn will you be leaving from, and what time of day do you plan to travel?

Have you made your train reservations yet?

Edited: 12 May 2014, 23:53
Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,887 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From NY to Boston on Memorial Day

Today is probably the last day you can book low fares for Memorial Day, which is two weeks away. However, the only trains showing low fare ($49 per person) are the first train of the morning, leaving at 7 a.m., and the last of the day, leaving at 9 p.m. (There's also an overnight train that leaves at two in the morning, but I'm assuming you don't want that one.)

All other trains are more than double the low fare, and some more than that. This is why early booking is so important, especially for a very heavy travel day like Memorial Day.

Casablanca, Morocco
Level Contributor
172 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: From NY to Boston on Memorial Day

Thank you Auden. We did not know that Monday was Memorial Day. It is only when I started working on our itineray that I stumbled upon this piece of information.

In Brooklyn, we will be somewhere close to Franklin avenue.

And yes, we looked at the fares and I am afraid we will be paying full price (around 100USD per adult). But hey, what can we do about that? Not so much ...

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,887 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: From NY to Boston on Memorial Day

Where on Franklin Avenue are you leaving from? I hope it's not an illegal rental.

BTW - Amtrak fares can go well above $100 when demand is high. Have you booked yet?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,483 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: From NY to Boston on Memorial Day

Traveling on that day if you don't have to is totally crazy unless you leave early in the morning. Otherwise, I'd change your plans.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,184 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: From NY to Boston on Memorial Day

FYI, Franklin Avenue runs a third of the length of the borough. It's not sufficient information to give a location.

Casablanca, Morocco
Level Contributor
172 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: From NY to Boston on Memorial Day

Auden, no it is not an illegal rental (I would not know where to get one of those even if I wanted). It is close to the intersection of washington avenue and eastern parkway.

BrooklynBridge, thank you for this info. I did not realise this indeed (first time in New York)

nywhiz, well we kinda have to... and we are aiming an early morning departure. Can you elaborate on how totally crazy things are? Thanks !