We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car service from Newark to Midtown

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
442 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
Car service from Newark to Midtown

I am looking for recommendations for a car service into MIdtown Manhattan from Newark Airport. When I travel alone I take the train, but my hubby is going and he has stated he is NOT taking the train from the airport. I have read horror stories about taking a taxi from Newark into NYC, and I definitely don't want to take a shuttle. Can you recommend a reputable car service? Thanks

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car service from Newark to Midtown

dial7.com

allstatelimo.com

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
442 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car service from Newark to Midtown

I see negative reviews about those, especially with people being overcharged for tolls.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,003 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car service from Newark to Midtown

Living in the area, I can't say that I've had personal experience with taking a car service from EWR, but LMVManchester has a lot of experience flying into the area through EWR (I think he should be a New York DE, not a Manchester DE!!!)

Also, I have a feeling that the toll issue is due to the confusion over how those tolls get charged. You will be charged tolls in both directions when you use a car service or a taxi, and you will very possibly be charged the cash toll rate at the tunnel or bridge. The cash toll rate is $13 payable in one direction only. The NJ Turnpike tolls are around $3 or so payable in both directions, so expect to pay about $20 in tolls. When making a reservation please call and ask them for the full, all-in charges including tolls but excluding tip.

BTW, a premium car service is strussers which includes EVERYTHING including Sales Tax, Waiting time, 20% Gratuity, Tolls, and Parking Fee strusserslimousineservice.com/newark-airport…

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,086 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Car service from Newark to Midtown

Your husband shoudl be aware that one of the major roadways between Newark and NYC, the Pulaski Skyway, is closed for the next two years. Just so he understands, a car is going to take a LOT longer than the train.

Dial 7 and AllState are both reputable. Don't pre-pay.

Edited: 13 May 2014, 16:49
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car service from Newark to Midtown

"Living in the area, I can't say that I've had personal experience with taking a car service from EWR, but LMVManchester has a lot of experience flying into the area through EWR (I think he should be a New York DE, not a Manchester DE!!!) "

Thanks!! Maybe I should relocate ;-)

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,003 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car service from Newark to Midtown

BTW, EWR's Airtrain service is closed until mid-July anyway

Also www.carmellimo.com will work

Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car service from Newark to Midtown

I returned from a first time trip to NYC a few days ago and am reporting a very negative experience with the car service Execucar. I booked the car service ahead of time to pick me up at Newark airport and to take me to my Midtown hotel while making my other reservations with Travelocity. I was instructed that I would meet the driver at baggage claim and that he'd have a sign with my name. I circled around the designated area multiple times and it seemed that there were people with everyone else's name. I called the car service and they didn't seem to have any of my flight information or any knowledge of which terminal I would be landing in. Finally I met him at the curb and got into his car. He pulled out and then asked for the voucher for my payment. I had made a mistake. Out of the half dozen other vouchers I had printed, I had copied the summary of my reservation but not the voucher he wanted. As he zoomed into Manhattan causing the most extreme nausea, I did everything I could to get the voucher to him electronically. My Canadian smartphone with the U.S. SIM card was not cooperating. I spoke to the travelocity people who could offer no other advice but to try to access their site and email the voucher to the driver as he had requested. The emails kept getting bounced back. He would not provide me with another email address to try. He would not let me go into the hotel and get them to print it out at the desk and then bring it to him. He would not accept boing shown to voucher on the screen of my phone and did not have the equipment to scan the barcode. He demanded the payment via my credit card and insisted on also charging me for the return trip 3 days later, and would not let me out of the car until I did so.

later in my hotel room, I called travelocity and was chastised for paying the man as much as I did. I demanded a full refund from them and that they cancel my return trip. They reluctantly agreed to do so but only the fees I had paid travelocity.

Ironically I received multiple texts and calls the day of my departure asking me where I was and the guy seemed to be trying to find me at my hotel to take me back to the airport. I had already made alternate plans.

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car service from Newark to Midtown

You've revived a months old thread to vent about ExecuCar - we know they're not good. You should have come here first.

9. Re: Car service from Newark to Midtown

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 November 2015, 06:16