We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to begin??

Level Contributor
49 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Where to begin??

Hi all

Our trip isnt till end of November but we will be flying into JFK around 2 in the afternoon expect to be in the hotel in Brooklyn by about 4 and hopefully unpacked and ready to see the city. My first question is how much would a taxi roughly be from JFK to Brooklyn. Staying at Fairfield Inn and Suites.

My 2nd question is - For my husband whos never been what do you suggest we do first to really try and make him go wow (his idea of a holiday is beach and sunny weather). I was thinking of walking along the Brooklyn Bridge then get the train to Times Square or do we head for ESB or TOTR just to show him this amazing city.

All suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,750 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to begin??

Brooklyn Bridge day or night, ESB at night (the later the better to avoid the queues unless you buy express tickets) or TOTR if you can make it for the sunset so that you can see Central Park and then watch the city as it goes from light to dark.

Level Contributor
49 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to begin??

(TOTR at Sunset) - Stupid me that was an idea id wrote down in my vastly expanding notepad of ideas and tips i keep finding on here. Thanks for the reminder.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,986 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to begin??

Save TOTR at sunset for another day. The sun sets early at the end of November and you do not want your husband's first hour in the city to involve rushing around like a lunatic. Sunset is at 4:34 on Nov 20 and at 4:30 on Nov 30

timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html…

Edited: 14 May 2014, 11:29
Australia
Level Contributor
1,411 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to begin??

Where are you flying from Cara? I ask because if you need to go through immigration when you land, 2 hours from landing to arriving at the hotel is probably a bit optimistic. We were in a queue at immigration just shy of 2 hours.

New York, New York
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
5,123 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to begin??

JFK's website for ground transportation gives sample fares & tips. They estimate you between $50-60usd-

panynj.gov/airports/jfk-taxi-car-van-service…

Also you can ask your husband what he really wants to do first. Here is an easy list of must sees that you could show him-

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i23092-Must_dos…

Also the walk to the bridge is doable, but long (and not that exciting before the bridge) so I am not sure if that would be the first impression you want.

Maybe Times Square and drinks or dessert at the view lounge in Times Square?

You can get Metro cards at the airport or at the subway station (& sometimes at the hotel), bur I would probably take the Subway from the major stop closest to your hotel - Barclay Center (where the Brooklyn Nets home games & many concerts are held). Later when you really feel like walking check out cobble hill and the Brooklyn promenade there are great views.

Happy planning &(most importantly) Have Fun!

Edited: 14 May 2014, 12:27
New York, New York
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
5,123 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to begin??

Oh here is the link for the View Lounge-

http://www.theviewnyc.com/

Most reviewers love the views, but the food in their restaurant gets mixed reviews (and many feel is too costly) so we just usually recommend the bar or dessert bar.

Enjoy

Level Contributor
49 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to begin??

@tigga23 - Flying from Heathrow. Crikey i really am being optimistic. Thanks for the heads up.

@forgotmypword - Maybe wouldnt be such a bad idea especially if we didnt get there as i hope and end up rushing around.

@MTI-n-NYC - Thanks for links will look into them. We probably would be hungry and ready for eating something around that time. The birght lights of Times Square might do the job too.

Thanks.

8. Re: Where to begin??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 May 2015, 06:17