We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for perfect place for very small outdoor wedding

Atlanta, Georgia...
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for perfect place for very small outdoor wedding

My fiancé and I have an event in NYC Memorial Day weekend and thought we would include a wedding. It will be very small with probably less than 4 - 6 guests. I would like an outdoor setting - a garden, winery, or rooftop. There are so many places to choose from, my head is spinning. Budget-wise, we don't want to spend a lot - a few hundred bucks, max. We are older and want it to be very special and memorable. Any suggestions?

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,905 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for perfect place for very small outdoor wedding

How exciting! There is a practical matter that may be an obstacle. You must have a NY State marriage license, and would need to appear in person to do that. That may be a problem if you are in NYC for just the holiday weekend. More info on marriage license here: cityclerk.nyc.gov/html/marriage/license.shtml

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,566 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for perfect place for very small outdoor wedding

There are no wineries that I can think of in Manhattan. But the new Laduree restaurant (a transplant of the iconic Parisian patisserie/restaurant) in Soho is such a pretty room with a garden in the back. I don't know if they will let you use their garden but there's no harm in asking. Beautiful food.http://www.opentable.com/laduree-soho

QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7,428 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for perfect place for very small outdoor wedding

I would be inclined to recommend a very nice hotel suite with a terrace, but I just noticed your budget and don't think it would be possible. Frankly, on Memorial Day weekend a lot of inexpensive outdoor venues are going to be filled with people enjoying the holiday. Why not just go get married at the city marriage bureau on Friday and have a nice outdoor dinner afterwards, weather permitting?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,384 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for perfect place for very small outdoor wedding

If you can manage to get the license, you can get married for free in any outdoor park. I think the New Freedom Park on Roosevelt Island would be awesome, but I havent checked their website for their rules, if any. You'd get there by the tram which is great fun if you don't have a fear of heights. Remember you will have to pay the officiant a few hundred dollars to get married anywhere except the clerk's office. Does that blow the budget?

Revles.com

Reverend Alison

Are 2 that have been used by forumites.

As for a meal, what about bringing a picnic to the park?

Atlanta, Georgia...
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for perfect place for very small outdoor wedding

Wow! Thank you! I had no idea it had to be a NY license. That could certainly change things. Thank you so much for the head's up.

Thank you to everyone who responded. I'm thinking maybe we'll just find a nice venue here in Georgia, do the deed, and then head to NY for the fun of it! Again - thanks!!

Edited: 15 May 2014, 18:15
Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,905 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for perfect place for very small outdoor wedding

Sounds like a great plan! Mini honeymoon in NYC -- Have fun!! Make some dinner reservations.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for perfect place for very small outdoor wedding

How long is your ceremony? My friends did a quick "I do" on High Line with a small gaggle of friends.

8. Re: Looking for perfect place for very small outdoor wedding

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 May 2015, 09:16