We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting hire car after a week in NY, returning later to EWR

Bellthorpe
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Getting hire car after a week in NY, returning later to EWR

After a week being tourists in New York city, staying in a hotel over at Long Island City, Queens, my wife and I are planning on picking up a hire car for three weeks touring, covering a loop upstate, into Canada and back. Our final destination is Newark International Airport (EWR).

One option is to arrange a car from an airport agency and get over there to start the hire, then return it back there 3 weeks later for our departure. But is the best option in terms of price or other considerations?

Mentioned in this post
Newark
Newark
New Jersey
Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,839 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting hire car after a week in NY, returning later to EWR

You really need to price out all your options, it's really impossible to give a general answer

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
12,757 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting hire car after a week in NY, returning later to EWR

It's highly likely that it will be less expensive if you rent the car in New Jersey, but it may not necessarily be any cheaper to rent at Newark Airport. You have to check every company separately, but one can often get a cheaper rate at a location other than an airport even if you intend to return the car to an airport.

When are you making this trip? If before mid July be aware that the Newark Airport AirTrain is not running. Normally picking up or returning a rental car at Newark is easy since you take the AirTrain between your terminal and the rental car centers, but that won't be the case right now. So the normal advantage (and higher price point) that on airport rentals have won't be there if you're renting before mid July.

The vast majority of car rentals include taking the car to Canada with no additional charges, but confirm this with the car rental company (and you may want to have it in writing on the off chance that a Canadian or US border inspector wants to see the contract.)

Edited: 15 May 2014, 01:26
Mentioned in this post
New Jersey
New Jersey
United States
Newark
Newark
New Jersey
Bellthorpe
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting hire car after a week in NY, returning later to EWR

Thanks for the detailed reply. Our car trip is 30 June to 15 July, and we have read about the EWR AirTrain being down. The predictions were dire, but the TA posts since the buses started have said "no problems!". And the web site says that the buses serve "P2 & P3 Rental Cars and Daily Parking" so that sounds OK.

Interesting that I can hire elsewhere and return to EWR for less than going to EWR to pick up - that is the main thing I wanted to find out about, as I don't really want to trek back to EWR to get the car.

Mentioned in this post
Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
12,757 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting hire car after a week in NY, returning later to EWR

You should check on companies that have good transit access in New Jersey at places other than at the airport. You can rent from Avis and Dollar at Newport Center in Jersey City, which is right at a PATH station. I'd price those out, but post on one of the New Jersey forums as well to see if anyone there has other suggestions. There's no guarantee that they're cheaper than renting at the airport, but they'd be easier (and less expensive) to get to.

My point about the AirTrain was that for the timing of your trip, the convenience of an on airport return and the AirTrain to your terminal wouldn't be there, so if there's a better rate of an off airport return I'd be more inclined to go for it than I normally would.

If Newport Center, or someplace else with PATH service works, then you'd take the subway into Manhattan and then the PATH to the PATH station in New Jersey. What specific route to follow depends on exactly where in Long Island City you're staying and where in New Jersey your car rental pickup ends up being.

Edited: 15 May 2014, 02:03
Mentioned in this post
New Jersey
New Jersey
United States
Newport
Newport
Rhode Island
Jersey City
Jersey City
New Jersey
Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
4,455 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting hire car after a week in NY, returning later to EWR

One reason you need to check the rental websites (or a web tool that queries most of them) is that their software "predicts" things like when /they/ need cars delivered to airports and when they don't. There's no other way to find out the cheapest rate for the days you are interested in.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,839 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting hire car after a week in NY, returning later to EWR

Bellthorpe is in Australia, right? Your issue is getting a good price that includes US insurance, especially if you are taking it to Canada. Most foreigners arrange all-in packages which include insurance (collision damage waiver CDW + supplemental liability insurance SLI) rather than purchasing it at the rental desk which will easily add 25/day or more. www.carhire3000.com is one such agency but if you go to the hertz web site (and I think Avis too) they will detect your location and offer you such a package. And it is my understanding, based on NO personal experience, that those packages assume an airport pickup and return so you have some checking to do.

7. Re: Getting hire car after a week in NY, returning later to EWR

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 May 2015, 09:16