We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Governor's Ball 2014: For Teens w/o Chaperone?

NJ
Level Contributor
227 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Governor's Ball 2014: For Teens w/o Chaperone?

Hi all,

I have a 15 yo son who was invited by his 15 yo girl (friend) to attend the 2014 Governor's Ball without a chaperone (no parent, no older sibling, etc.)....His 15 yo girl (friend) bought him a 3 day pass as a birthday present without consulting me first...and now my son is upset that I am not letting him go.

My question is: Do teenagers without chaperones even belong to a festival such as this? I've never attended, but am saying NO for various reasons....they're totally on their own, and though both are very responsible kids, both are telling me that tons of teenagers go to this event without chaperones...I wonder if that spells trouble... any input from previous year attendees or other is welcomed, THANKS!!!

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,809 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Governor's Ball 2014: For Teens w/o Chaperone?

Chaperones? For fifteen year olds? Are you serious?

Maybe it's the difference between being a kid in the suburbs who gets driven everywhere and a city kid, but I grew up here when NYC was FAR more dangerous than it is now. We all transported ourselves all over the city with no chaperones starting at about 10 or 11. At thirteen I was in high school, and as such basically allowed to do whatever after school as long as I was either home by dinner or let my parents know when I'd be back. We went to the Met (paid a quarter to get in!) to hang out in the galleries, or went to free movies in Bryant Park on Monday nights, or hiked through Central Park to hang out.

Honestly, especially if these kids are responsible, sensible children, I think you're completely nuts. Like, totally, completely nuts. What exactly do you imagine happens at music festivals? I'd be far more worried about kids hanging out in rambling suburban houses with nothing to do but do drugs and sleeping with each other.

Edited: 15 May 2014, 01:36
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
53,547 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Governor's Ball 2014: For Teens w/o Chaperone?

I wouldn't consider most 15 year-olds capble of deciding whether something like this is a good idea. 2 kids going into an arena show for 3 hours might be one thing. Signing on for a 3 day festival is entirely different. Just buying the tickets without asking doesn't show great judgement imo.How will they get there? Savvy New York City kids ride the subway all the time at that age. Have these kids ever been into the city on their own? What time does it end? How will they get home?

To me, it has "bad idea" written all over it.

Maybe, just maybe, if you bought a ticket for the first day and went along, then maybe you'd be comfortable allowing him to go back for subsequent days. Otherwise, there's a reason parents are in charge, and a reason why " Oh, Mom...please..." is part of the standard vocabulary at that age. :)

staten island
Level Contributor
1,957 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Governor's Ball 2014: For Teens w/o Chaperone?

On the other hand, I chaperoned my son and his friends at OZFest years ago. I also hung out all over the city by age 13, but I wouldn't trust a teenager as far as I could throw them.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,809 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Governor's Ball 2014: For Teens w/o Chaperone?

So, Georgia, I'm genuinely curious: YOU traveled unchaperoned at a younger age, but you don't think a teenager now should be allowed to. Why not?

staten island
Level Contributor
1,957 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Governor's Ball 2014: For Teens w/o Chaperone?

When my older son was a teenager, I would allow him to travel unchaperoned around the city, but I was really strict, in a fun, obnoxious way. I had lots of rules and no way would I leave him unsupervised for three days with friends. I'm just not cool. Can't wait to do it again with my little guy...not.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,636 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Governor's Ball 2014: For Teens w/o Chaperone?

Were they planning to spend all three days in the city by themselves or would they be returning home each night?

If it's the first I'd be worried -- where would they sleep? If it's the latter, how is it different than any other one day trip into the city. Would that be a concern? If so, why?

NJ
Level Contributor
227 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Governor's Ball 2014: For Teens w/o Chaperone?

So, the kids, age 15, are city kids...one lives in Manhattan, the other lives in NJ, but in Manhattan all the time. I allow them to travel the city together or alone, and they are very responsible. I have allowed them to go to a concert or two, in the city, for three hours at a time. This festival is different...even one day at the festival, is different. I have read Yelp reviews, other reviews, and have concerns...they are responsible kids...but after reading reviews, and these kids being there all day, I don't know, doesn't feel right. So I said no. The other teen's parents bought the tickets, more liberal than me :). Just a difference of opinion. Both wonderful kids...just would be nervous, even though they are well travelled NYC kids, about letting them go without someone "there". Am I being unrealistic? I don't think so.

USA
Level Contributor
12,730 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Governor's Ball 2014: For Teens w/o Chaperone?

Spot on BrooklynBridge.

I live in the burbs and when I was 15, my friends and I would take the bus into Manhattan and go to shows all the time. We figured out how to use the subway, etc. and never had any issues. Teenagers need to experience concerts and such, as a parent you need to set some boundaries, that's all.

NJ
Level Contributor
227 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Governor's Ball 2014: For Teens w/o Chaperone?

The reviews I read talk about the festival being more for high schoolers and 20 somethings that want to have a good time, sneaking in alcohol, hash, some teens passing out from who knows what...sounds a little more wild than today's concert venue. Much harder these days to sneak things into a concert venue. Just think there's more room for "trouble" and so many more free roaming people of all ages at this festival, one of the largest music festivals, in the country. They would be returning at night, not sleeping over anywhere. Maybe I would allow if he were older, but 15 to me, with this large a crowd, no seats, just free roaming, worries me.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
53,547 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Governor's Ball 2014: For Teens w/o Chaperone?

Only you know. You're the parent. If you're not comfortable with it...you're not comfortable with it. You've already seen different opinions here, but it's your call and if you're not comfortable, go with your instincts. "More liberal" or not, I know I'd have an issue with other parents buying tickets for something like this without at least shooting an email or phone call my way. Now you're the bad guy, right ?

Edited: 15 May 2014, 02:18