We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo traveller - budget accommo?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
129 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Solo traveller - budget accommo?

Hi all! I'll be in Chicago for work in June and was thinking of extending a few days to visit NYC. The closest transit I can get is via DC (work approved airlines etc) so I'm thinking if I should fly DC to NYC or take the bus? Also it'll just be me and I was thinking 3 nights in NYC (?) but require budget yet safe accommodation. Wondering if less than $150 is possible? Could you guys help to recommend some budget, safe and convenient accommo for solo female traveller? Oh approx dates for NYC would be 21-24 June? Thank you so much!!

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
10,750 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo traveller - budget accommo?

What are the work approved airlines that fly from Chicago to Washington, but not to New York?

Russell, KY
Level Contributor
3,803 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo traveller - budget accommo?

Are you willing to have a shared bath?

New York, NY
Level Contributor
1,083 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo traveller - budget accommo?

Would you consider couchsurfing? Not sure what forum experience is...

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
129 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo traveller - budget accommo?

Hello!

Well we have to use a work travel site and the only flights provided that transit in the states are DC, LA and SF.

Hmm not wanting to sound princessy but

would prefer ensuite... Can do hostels if can get private room ensuite. Saw a posting about someone who used the west Y..

Prob not the couch surfing. Solo female and with work stuff so safety is a concern..

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Solo traveller - budget accommo?

I would look at the hotels in long island city

Russell, KY
Level Contributor
3,803 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Solo traveller - budget accommo?

You are coming at an expensive time with a small budget. Long Island City is a good idea if you don't want to share a bathroom. You could also try Priceline since you just need one bed. Try betterbidding.com to learn how to navigate if you've never used Priceline before.

I did a quick check on Hotels.com for a Long Island City hotel. Country Inn and Suites is $140 a night plus tax for a total of $492.45. It includes breakfast. Check the hotel's site also to compare prices.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
3,809 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Solo traveller - budget accommo?

I searched up some of my favorite LIC hotels and they're all over your budget except for one, the Quality Inn on 40th AV. I've stayed there twice before and am staying there again in two weeks. Clean, safe budget hotel, convenient to subway.

You can get a queen bed room for $446.55 all in with taxes for your dates, $126 average per night, or a king bed room for $480.98, $130 per night. Found those via their direct website choicehotels.com. I'd reserve one of those on a cancellable reservation then try Priceline but only after researching the areas of NY on betterbidding.com.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
20,846 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Solo traveller - budget accommo?

I'm predicting you may want to consider increasing your budget.

For Manhattan:

The NYMA New York Manhattan Hotel has a good deal on its own website. A king room with private bath for $176 with free cancellation. redroof.com/property/… Includes WiFi and breakfast.

Pod39 has a single room with private bath for $177. These rooms are tiny but efficiently organized. The Pod hotels also provide activities and opportunities to socialize, so you may enjoy that as a single traveler. That price is on Expedia.com, with free cancellation. They warn "only 3 rooms left". I haven't checked the hotel's own website to see if they are offering the same rate.

If you are willing to consider a small room with a private shower and wash basin, but the toilet is in a shared bathroom, then look at ChelseaLodge.com $159

Willing to take a chance on Hotwire? There is a 3 star Midtown Central hotel with a 90% approval rating and 4/5 star TripAdvisor rating for $132. It has a kitchenette. That MIGHT be the Salisbury. The amenity details match hints on BetterBidding.com Kitchenette with no fitness facilities listed really helps narrow it down. Of course, I can't promise that it will be the Salisbury.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
129 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Solo traveller - budget accommo?

Hi all thank you so much for your words of advice. I really appreciate it! Unfortunately I won't be able to make it to NY this time. :(

10. Re: Solo traveller - budget accommo?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 May 2015, 05:17