We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 day New York itinerary - too much?

Canberra
Level Contributor
41 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
5 day New York itinerary - too much?

Hi everyone. My partner and I (both 30) will be visiting New York next January for five days. We'll arrive at about 6am on an overnight flight from SFO. I've just finished reading the Frommer's New York City day by day guide cover to cover, and am excited about our visit! I've also been reading the TA forums so here goes...

This is what I'm thinking. Is it too much? We're happy to walk where we can. Your honest thoughts are appreciated! We won't be offended if you tell us it's unachievable and value your suggestions.

Thank you in advance.

Day 1: The Plaza Hotel. Walk through Central Park (up to the Obelisk), back down along 5th Avenue, Waldorf Astoria Food Court (late lunch). Visit Times Square and Rockefeller Centre, Christmas Tree in the evening.

Day 2: Staten Island Ferry to see Statue of Liberty. Walk to Federal Reserve Bank (one-hour bank vault tour). Walk to Charging Bull (photo op). Walk to 9/11 memorial, then back to hotel via Century 21. Broadway Show in the late evening.

Day 3: American Museum of Natural History. Walk back past the Dakota Building. Empire State Building at sunset. Macy’s in the evening.

Day 4: Full day trip to Washington DC.

Day 5: Greenwich Village and Washington Square Park. Grand Central Station. Broadway show in the evening or Brooklyn Bridge at night.

Day 6: Depart on Royal Caribbean cruise from Cape Liberty.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,751 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 day New York itinerary - too much?

Looks like a well thought out itinerary. Where is your hotel?

For Day 2, the 911 Memorial Museum is opening this month. You may want to consider doing the full museum. The memorial fountains are now open access, so it's easy to do whenever the timing is right.

You may have additional time to explore nearby places on this day (e.g. Chinatown/Little Italy, Lower East Side & East Village, Soho).

Don't underestimate how bitterly COLD Brooklyn Bridge at night in January may be. If that's a priority, and you have a sunny or milder day, do it then. You could even do it on your Wall Street day.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 day New York itinerary - too much?

I didn't know the Waldorf had a food court. I know that the Plaza does.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,527 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 day New York itinerary - too much?

^^Yes, it's the Plaza hotel on Central Park South that has the food court. The Waldorf is not much to see IMO - old, tired, dark lobby.

You might want to consider the Top of the Rock at dusk rather than the ESB. From the ToTR you'll get daytime views of Central Park, and then as darkness falls you'll see the ESB as it lights up.

I assume you'll be here the first week of January, since you mention the Rockefeller Center tree? The Bryant Park holiday market usually going for a few days into january as well. And of course the ice skating rinks will still be open. :)

Edited: 16 May 2014, 15:06
Canberra
Level Contributor
41 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 day New York itinerary - too much?

Thank you so much for your advice and suggestions. I like the TOTR idea so will definitely think about switching that around. I'd like to see the Empire State Building light up, good point!

And that's a good point about Brooklyn Bridge at night!! Thank you.

The hotel! Decisions decisions! Everyone keeps telling me different things! Stay here. No you don't want to stay there, stay here. No, stay here!! A friend once said something about 14th street, but I can't remember if she said stay above it, or below it!!! We're after middle of the range hotel. Noise doesn't bother us, so thought perhaps somewhere near Times Square. Any words of wisdom to share?!

I do have one more question... Is there a shuttle service that picks up from NY hotels and goes directly to the cruise ship terminal, Cape Liberty, in Bayonne? I just want the quickest and easiest way to get there! Not interested in catching four different trains or taking the bus, and I understand cabs don't go there. Anyone know if there's a direct shuttle service?!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,888 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 day New York itinerary - too much?

There is no shuttle service to the cruise terminal. You'll need a private car service like

Dial7.com

Allstatelimo.com

Jan. is an ideal time to get great hotel deals. I wouldn't be too quick to book anything that isn't cancellable as there a often sales posted o

Travelzoo.com

For Jan. a few months in advance. What's your idea in $ of "middle of the road" and what are your dates?

Btw, the view of the SOL are somewhat distant on the SI ferry. If you want closer views, use one of the paid cruises. There are often discounts for them on

Goldstar.com

Closer to the visit.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,970 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 day New York itinerary - too much?

On day two you will be by the bull before you get to Wall Street and you might want to stop in at the museum of the American Indian while you are there.

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,750 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 day New York itinerary - too much?

The trip to DC will be a long day and you probably won't be up at the crack of dawn the next day. You're day seems ok afterwards but perhaps consider not going to Broadway that night in case you become tired and want an early night

Canberra
Level Contributor
41 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 5 day New York itinerary - too much?

Thanks for the info nywhiz. I've emailed dial7 for price and availability. I've also emailed a few other places, just to compare.

American Indian Museum, noted!

And thanks ktsnowowl, you make a good point. As long as we get to see at least one broadway show, we'll be happy!

Let the planning continue!

9. Re: 5 day New York itinerary - too much?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 May 2014, 18:17
10. Re: 5 day New York itinerary - too much?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 May 2015, 05:17