We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

G.V. to Bay Ridge to Brighton Beach?

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
G.V. to Bay Ridge to Brighton Beach?

If the weather's decent on Wednesday I'm thinking of going to Bay Ridge to see the Fleet Week ships arriving between 9:00 and 11:00 (thanks to georgiastatenisland for the viewing tip). Because of the disruption to R train service, I think I have a couple of options in getting there from The Village and would like opinions on what would be best.

Option 1: Leaving around 7:00 a.m., from W. 4th St., take the A, C or F (which would be quickest?) to Jay Street and transfer to the R to 95th then walk over to the shore from there. Any specific street that would be interesting for this walk? Any specific area that would be a good place to watch from? I'm hoping to find a diner for breakfast along the way.

Option 2: Hike over to the N at 8th St./NYU and take the N as far as 59th St. Brooklyn and transfer to the R to 95th.

After that I'd like to head over to Brighton Beach so it looks like catching the R back up to 59th/Brooklyn and getting on the N to Coney Island and walking to Brighton Beach from there might be the thing to do?

From what I've read, Bay Ridge looks like a very safe place to walk through but if there's any area I should avoid, please let me know.

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,383 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: G.V. to Bay Ridge to Brighton Beach?

Bay Ridge is very, very safe.

From Bay Ridge to Brighton Beach I'd actually take the B1 86th Street bus. It's pretty frequent, not that slow, and will give you a good view of some of the nearby neighborhoods.

staten island
Level Contributor
1,970 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: G.V. to Bay Ridge to Brighton Beach?

Fort Hamilton diner is near the 95th St. station. If you get off at 86th St. you'll find more options.

If you're in the mood to walk and curious about some of the neighborhood, and you have time, walk over to 82nd St. around Narrows Avenue. Otherwise, just walk to Shore Road then turn left until you find a good spot to see the vessels under the VZB.

The bus to Brighton Beach is a good idea.

Edited: 17 May 2014, 02:46
Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: G.V. to Bay Ridge to Brighton Beach?

Ah, thank you. I hadn't considered a bus. I'm confident with the subway but haven't really used the buses. I'm anxious about knowing where to de-bus and whether I have to pull the cord or if they stop there anyway and that kind of thing. And thanks for the specifics on where to head from the subway.

I'm very open to exploring while I'm in the area. I'll mark that spot on my map and head over there depending on weather and such. I only need to get back to G.V. for a nap before an 8:00 show that night. It's a good thing nothing that isn't already/still open opens in NYC before 11:00 or noon.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
16,736 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: G.V. to Bay Ridge to Brighton Beach?

On the bus try and sit near the front and tell the driver you want to get out at X spot. IME they are very good at letting you know when you get to the spot. But keep an eye on street names as you pass just in case. Look up Google maps or other map so you know what's nearby.

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,383 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: G.V. to Bay Ridge to Brighton Beach?

You'll be getting on the B1 at the very start of the line at the 86th Street station, and you can get off just after the bus turns from Ocean Parkway onto Brighton Beach Avenue. Everything will look very Russian. Here's a bus schedule.

…mta.info/nyct/bus/schedule/bkln/b001cur.pdf

staten island
Level Contributor
1,970 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: G.V. to Bay Ridge to Brighton Beach?

The bus drivers are normally helpful, but here's a map- …mta.info/nyct/bus/schedule/bkln/b001cur.pdf

You'll be on 86th St. the whole way. The bus will make a right on Ocean Parkway toward the beach, first left is Brighton Beach.

staten island
Level Contributor
1,970 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: G.V. to Bay Ridge to Brighton Beach?

OOps, repeat info...

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: G.V. to Bay Ridge to Brighton Beach?

Thanks for the tips. It's looking like I might spend more time in Bay Ridge than I planned. And it's looking like the weather might not be the best on Wednesday. Hopefully the forecast will change for the better. I have to say, the only thing I really dislike about visiting NYC is having to drag an umbrella and/or raincoat around much of the time.

9. Re: G.V. to Bay Ridge to Brighton Beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 May 2015, 05:17