We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Subway High Line ???

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
166 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Subway High Line ???

Hi New Yorkers,i was in my doctors surgery and reading a very old magazine about a old subway line that is high up on the New York Sky line is this still there if so how do you visit this old line.

true or false the more information the better for my coming visit to your great City thank you Aussie

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,082 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Subway High Line ???

True and it is called the high line.

http://www.thehighline.org/

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Subway High Line ???

http://www.thehighline.org/

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,220 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Subway High Line ???

I agree that it sounds like you were reading about the High Line, though it's an old rail line, not a subway line. (This track was once used for freight trains, not subways). And it's not that high up - maybe 3-4 stories...you don't get panoramic city skyline views from the High Line.

Edited: 18 May 2014, 19:41
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,853 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Subway High Line ???

You must visit it while you are in NYC. I absolutely love this place.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,863 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Subway High Line ???

And my favorite nearby subway station for the A C E and L trains has wonderful Tom Otterness sculptures

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Subway High Line ???

I love the High Line. It is excellent. Highly recommended

Definitely go and enjoy The High Line - it is wonderful. Terroir is a wine bar with a great location along The High Line near 15th Street. Beautiful setting for a glass of wine along The High Line

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,075 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Subway High Line ???

Agree, as always, with ztaks. That subway station is at 8th avenue and 14th Street. You need to use a subway ticket to get onto the platform to see the sculptures. They are very cute.

And PS...another vote for 'I love the Highline'.

Edited: 18 May 2014, 23:43
Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
5,517 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Subway High Line ???

Be aware that a number of "subways" become elevated outside of Manhattan. There was a social improvement movement after WWI to depopulate the crowded Lower East Side by extending subways into Brooklyn, the Bronx, and Queens. The cheapest way to do this was with elevated lines that did not require costly tunneling. These were surprisingly built through farmland in Queens. By the 1930s, elevated lines were viewed as an urban blight with the loud noises and darkness they brought to streets. No further elevated lines were built and many that existed were torn down.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,853 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Subway High Line ???

Check this out !!!

amny.com/lifestyle/the-high-line-10-things-t…

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
166 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Subway High Line ???

Thank you idrinkwater this was the high line i was reading about great to see old new york history.

thank you all who contributed to this post. we will give the high line restaurant area a go as well.

regards to you all Aussie