We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

staying near which airport, on return from Europe?

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
38 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
staying near which airport, on return from Europe?

on June 28, I will be returning with my parents, husband, and adult sister from two weeks in Italy. We fly into JFK on Saturday afternoon (2 pm), and continue home to Louisville, KY the next morning, out of LGA.

We would like to go into the city for dinner that evening. My question is: which airport should we get a hotel near? Should we check in somewhere near JFK, leave the bags and then go into the city and get ourselves to LGA early the next morning? Or is it better to get from JFK area to LGA area Saturday afternoon, check in to hotel, leave bags, go into the city and back to hotel for the night, and wake up near the airport that morning?

Thank you!

(also, any tips for doing any of this by public transportation or cheapest means possible would be much appreciated, as we will be broke after two weeks in Italy!:)

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
7,901 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: staying near which airport, on return from Europe?

You should stay at a hotel in Long Island City, which is in Queens between LaGuardia and Manhattan. Take the train from JFK to your LIC hotel, drop the bags, go for dinner in Manhattan, come back and relax at your hotel, take a car service to LaGuardia the next morning.

QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7,272 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: staying near which airport, on return from Europe?

I am not familiar with the quality of hotels by LaGuardia, as I never have a reason to stay in them, but if I were in your position, I would probably want to stay close to the airport I was going to fly out of in the morning, preferably at a hotel with an airport shuttle. So it would be LGA for me and if not LGA someplace else in Queens that would be an easy trip to the airport in the morning.

If you stay at an LGA hotel with a shuttle, then after you check in you could take the shuttle to the airport and get on the M60 NYC bus that runs along Manhattan on 125 Street and connects with major subway lines on both the east and west sides (the 4,5, & 6 on the east side and the 1,2 & 3 on the west side, among other lines, not to mention buses). Alternatively, you could take the Q70 bus from the airport to the Jackson Heights subway stop in Queens, where several subway lines into Manhattan stop.

3. Re: staying near which airport, on return from Europe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 May 2015, 11:22