We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great morning coffee near Wyndham Garden Chinatown?

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,334 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Great morning coffee near Wyndham Garden Chinatown?

We will be staying at Wyndham Garden Chinatown and I'm looking for the best coffee options for my mornings. Mr. R isn't a coffee drinker and tends to sleep later. I'll be on Central Time and may well be up and craving good coffee at about 7am. I'd love to be able to take a nice walk to fetch fabulous coffee.

The location is at the end of the Bowery and I'm happy to walk a bit into the LES, or towards Little Italy. At first, The Roasting Plant caught my eye, but they don't open until 8am on weekends. I might end up really wanting to head out for a coffee walk earlier than that.

Starbucks will do in a pinch, but I would enjoy something a bit more unique. Needs to be good, strong coffee. Any suggestions?

Yes, I'll have an in room coffee maker, so I won't go into convulsive withdrawals if there aren't any great options :-)

Mentioned in this post
Wyndham Garden Chinatown
Wyndham Garden Chinatown
1,615 Reviews
New York City, NY
Roasting Plant
Roasting Plant
18 Reviews
New York City, NY
Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
12,480 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great morning coffee near Wyndham Garden Chinatown?

Not sure about your coffee, but I am interested to see how your stay goes as I booked through travelzoo and got me and hubby a great deal for July there.

The Clinton St Bakery is close by and has great reviews, but not sure what that means coffee wise.

I found this, but not sure it is very helpful.

huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/05/nyc-best-coffe…

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,401 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great morning coffee near Wyndham Garden Chinatown?

Roasting Plant opens at 7:30

http://roastingplant.com/locations/

As does Cafe Grumpy

cafegrumpy.com/locations/lower-east-side/

Mentioned in this post
Roasting Plant
Roasting Plant
18 Reviews
New York City, NY
Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,334 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Great morning coffee near Wyndham Garden Chinatown?

It looks like Roasting Plant closes at 7:30pm but they open 7am weekdays, 8am weekends. We'll see when I wake up :-)

Cafe Grumpy looks like a great choice! Thanks, Whiz :-)

Bogwoppit, PM me in a couple of weeks and I'll share thoughts about the hotel. We splurged on an upgraded room with balcony and a bit more space (I think), but I'm pretty confident that even the standard rooms are nice.

I'm getting excited!!

Mentioned in this post
Roasting Plant
Roasting Plant
18 Reviews
New York City, NY
Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
12,480 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Great morning coffee near Wyndham Garden Chinatown?

Thank you, I will do that.

I may see if I can upgrade at check in. But at the price I paid, the good reviews and the location, I really cannot complain.

5. Re: Great morning coffee near Wyndham Garden Chinatown?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 21 May 2014, 02:43
Edited: 21 May 2014, 02:43
New York, NY
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Great morning coffee near Wyndham Garden Chinatown?

Many of the bakeries in Chinatown have coffee and some open early. You can enjoy the coffee with a bfast pastry. If you haven't tried before, yuanyang is tea coffee mix. La Colombe and Think Coffee are a little north of your hotel tho you might enjoy the walk/seeing the neighborhoods.

Mentioned in this post
Think Coffee
Think Coffee
35 Reviews
New York City, NY
Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
12,622 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Great morning coffee near Wyndham Garden Chinatown?

If your body is still on Central Time then you'll sleep an hour later than you normally do (by the clocks in NYC.)

Edited: 20 May 2014, 05:26
Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,334 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Great morning coffee near Wyndham Garden Chinatown?

Duh... Auden, you're right about the time difference :-)

Thanks for all of the great suggestions. I'll try a few of them.

9. Re: Great morning coffee near Wyndham Garden Chinatown?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 May 2015, 06:17