We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

So excited just under 2 days to go.....any tips most welcome

Chigwell, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
So excited just under 2 days to go.....any tips most welcome

I am generally a lurker on these boards, over the last couple of weeks I have picked up quite a few tips and I just wanted to make sure 1) everything on my itinery was do-able, and 2) any other things that I might be able to build in.

It will be my 4th time in NYC (1994; 2005; 2009) and my other half's 2nd visit, this time my 12 year old daughter will also be coming with us. I know that the City has changed over the years, we are not that fussed about doing things that we've previously done - I'm quite excited to see my daughters reaction to the city. I also have family in upstate NY, the Bronx and New Jersey, so it will be nice for evryone to meet up.

I asked my daughter what she most wants to do and she said - go to Central Park; visit the statue of Liberty and eat Chinese out of a box (which I thought was quite funny as this is something that is readily available in the UK!!)

We arrive in to Newark just before 12 on the 22nd, this time we have opted to get the Newark Airport Express to Port Authority - hopefully this should be okay roadworks permitting! - any recent experiences of this would be welcome. Followed by a short walk to our hotel (the Belvedere) - we wanted to stay near to Times Square (but not right on top of it).

I 'm hoping we will have dropped our bags off to the hotel no later that 3pm. The plan is to go and explore and hit some of the shops on our list - B&H Photo; Macy's; Converse; Niketown; Abercrombie; M&M world (just to see) - we're going to get the M&M's and a crate of water from Duane Reade. We are not into fancy desinger brands just functional everyday wear - so any other suggestions will be most welcome.

We plan to grab a snack from Shake Shack (daughters request!) before heading back to the hotel for an early night.

Friday 23rd

Breakfast at the 'Red Fame Diner'

Top of the Rock (already booked) - Both of us have done the ESB before and the queues were a killer so we decided not to go through that again!)

Walk across town to catch a water taxi from Pier 79 - stay on until Brooklyn.

Visit Juliana's for pizza before walking back ober the Brooklyn Bridge toward Manhatten

No plans for the rest of the afternoon/evening - but suggestions are most welcome!

Saturday 24th

Breakfast at George's (Greenwich St)

Tickets to SoL pedestal / Ellis Island - 11am - Tried to get earlier but they were all gone, I'm hoping that it won't be too crazy down there - not sure whether it being Memorial weekend it will be quieter or busier?

Visit 9/11 memorial - this is something that we have all grown up with, I can remember going up to the observation deck in WTC back in 1994 and on 9/11 trying frantically to contact family members who worked there - so we feel it is important to go and pay our respects as a family.

Hard Rock cafe reservation for dinner (daughters request!)

Sunday 25th

Go early to Grand Central Station - grab something for breakfast on the way

Catch the Metro North Hudson Line to Cortlandt for a big family BBQ - I'm quite excited about this as some of my cousins I haven't seen since 1994.

Monday 26th

Grab some breakfast before meeting for the 'Free Tours by Foot' Soho, Little Italy & China Town Tour - this is something neither one of us have done before so quite looking forward to it.

Hopefully we'll be able to get some Chinese in a box for my daughter!! (again any suggestions most welcome)

Central Park in the afternoon

Dinner at Tony's Di Napoli

Tuesday 27th

No plans as yet - but suggestions most welcome

Our flight is at 19:20 so we would want to leave no later than 3pm for the airport (hopefully avoiding rush hour). We are undecided about whether to get to bus back to Newark - I've read some mixed reviews about the return journey - so any thoughts would be welcome.

The other option is to ask to concierge to arrange a car - presumably the cost should be on par with Dial-7??

I don't think we are going to do anymore that 13 journey's on the subway each (as we'd prefer to walk) so we were going to get one pay as you go Metro card for all of us and just load it up initially with $50 - does this sound okay?

Well that's it - any suggestion, tips would be most welcome! I will also post a trip report on my return.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: So excited just under 2 days to go.....any tips most welcome

I wouldn't get the concierge to order you a car - I would do it yourself

Do you mean "Red Flame Diner"?

Chigwell, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: So excited just under 2 days to go.....any tips most welcome

Thank you LMVManchester_UK - that sound's sensible, would you suggest getting a car back as opposed to the bus?

Ha ha!! what would we do without spell check - yes I meant the Red Flame diner!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: So excited just under 2 days to go.....any tips most welcome

Yes I would personally

Chigwell, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: So excited just under 2 days to go.....any tips most welcome

Thank you LMVManchester_UK - Just to be on the safe side I think I will book with dial-7 for the return journey to the airport.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
10,734 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: So excited just under 2 days to go.....any tips most welcome

Why are you planning to buy a "crate of water?" Just get a plastic bottle and refill it from the hotel room tap. NYC water is excellent, probably better than most of the bottled water you can buy.

Now, getting a crate of M&M;s, that I can understand completely!

Edited: 20 May 2014, 20:31
NC
Level Contributor
762 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: So excited just under 2 days to go.....any tips most welcome

Ha, your post sounds a lot like our planned trip....."daughter's request"......

I will say though from personal experience, I hope your baby girl isn't looking for great food from Hard Rock. It's cool to go in and look around, but their food is not that good (and it's super Times Square expensive). We now try and stay away from all the touristy restaurants in NYC and try ones off the beaten path recommended by the locals.

I think you have a great trip planned! We're heading back in August and have the 9/11 Museum on the top of our list this time around.

Have a great trip! I think your daughter will have the trip of a lifetime!!!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: So excited just under 2 days to go.....any tips most welcome

Agree with Auden that buying a crate of water is unnecessary, as our tap water is blissfully clean and tasty. Buy or bring a water bottle with you and fill it up as you go. Most any chinese place will have noodles in a paper box. Just make sure to order something like lo mein or fried rice. It's mostly rice and noodles in the box. I've gotten the box at Great NY Noodletown on Bowery before. Otherwise it looks good. Enjoy to family outing in Cortlandt!

Shawn

http://nytourguy.blogspot.com/

http://instagram.com/nytourguy

Chigwell, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: So excited just under 2 days to go.....any tips most welcome

Thanks for the tip Shawnito & Auden I guess it does make more sense to fill up bottles each day as that is what we do at home.

Jennmaybe - I am kind of hoping that she'll be too tired after Saturday's sightseeing to want to go there!!

Do you think with it being memorial weekend that the tourist attractions will be busier than normal?

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,747 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: So excited just under 2 days to go.....any tips most welcome

Your itinerary looks good so my only tips are to have a fantastic time and be sure to do a trip report when you get back.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: So excited just under 2 days to go.....any tips most welcome

Yes, tourist attractions will be very busy this weekend. I would expect close to maximum waits at things like ESB, SoL, and others. Things like the LES Tenement Museum will likely book fast. And tourist-centric restaurants like Ellen's or even Katz's will have big waits. The good news is lots of locals will be out of town. So neighborhood restaurants and bars should see lighter crowds.

Shawn

http://nytourguy.blogspot.com/

http://instagram.com/nytourguy