We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hiring a car from the city - is it wise?

London
Level Contributor
113 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
hiring a car from the city - is it wise?

Hi

We are thinking of hiring a car to Woodbury common on the 1st Sept to do our shopping. We will be staying at Tryp hotel near Penn station. Just wanted some help and advise.

1. Can we a hire a car near our hotel?

2. How's the traffic like considering its a holiday?

Thank you

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hiring a car from the city - is it wise?

Traffic will not be that bad GOING as long as you get on the road early(they usually open at 9am on holiday weekends.) Coming home is where you will experience potential delays as WC is usually crowded during Labor Day weekend and people will be coming home from the long weekend.

USA
Level Contributor
12,944 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hiring a car from the city - is it wise?

More of a hassle than it's worth in my opinion. With all that NYC has to offer, why shop anywhere else? I guess if you're looking for bargains, then maybe. But by the time you pay for the car, tolls, traffic, driving, time, etc., it just doesn't add up to much of a bargain. Enjoy NYC and all the shopping you can do without going very far.

New York City
Level Contributor
974 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hiring a car from the city - is it wise?

Easy enough to hire a car, but it will be very expensive (car rental is always expensive in NYC, and over the Labor Day weekend - insanely expensive!).

I second springerandy's opinion. NYC has so much to offer, why go to an outlet mall?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hiring a car from the city - is it wise?

It certainly is possible to rent a car from your location. There is a Hertz location a block or two away. It will probably cost close to $100 for the car plus $15+ tolls and $20 at least in gas. It's an economical way to get there. Traffic will be easy going there and very busy coming back. The 31st would be much clearer for traffic. You just have to consider whether it is worth paying $100-$150 to shop for some deals and leave NYC for a day of your vacation.

Shawn

http://nytourguy.blogspot.com/

http://instagram.com/nytourguy

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
4,215 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hiring a car from the city - is it wise?

I don't know why you don't just take the one of the direct buses from the Port Authority to Woodbury and back. leave the driving to them. You can check out transportation links at Woodbury's site to tell you the details. I would never rent a car leaving from Manhattan but that's just me.

I'm a shopping fool whenever I'm in NYC, but don't think there's anything wrong with a daytrip to Woodbury if that's what you want. I have never understood all the animosity it stirs up here.

London
Level Contributor
113 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hiring a car from the city - is it wise?

thank you all for your reply.

we always love a drive whenever we visit the USA. we have experienced LA traffic and florida traffic. i think its just part of the experience.

we also wanted the convenience of having to dump all shopping bags in a car instead of carrying them on to a bus - although we are also looking at that option.

7. Re: hiring a car from the city - is it wise?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2015, 05:15