We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

November in NYC

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
78 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
November in NYC

My boyfriend and I are considering a trip to NYC (a week) in November (10-17th). Is this a good idea???? I know the weather can be iffy but being in the UK we know what it can be like!

Will there be things to do/will everything touristy be open?

Thanks in advance :)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,869 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: November in NYC

Why wouldn't it be a good idea and why would you think things might not be open? Weather in Nov. is unpredictable. Sometimes is glorious and other times it's cold and wet. Our Thanksgiving is the 4th Thursday in Nov. That's a popular time to visit with most of the Xmas decorations up by then. If you can only come on the dates you mention, you will still see some decorations.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
78 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: November in NYC

I don't know, people are making a big deal about the weather. I think we may be stuck on those dates. Not 100% sure as we would have liked to be there for the Christmas stuff but I think we might be stuck on that now. We are mainly there to see the city and sites so not too bothered about Christmas stuff (but wouold like to go ice skating!)

Saginaw Mi
Level Contributor
468 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: November in NYC

We were in NYC in late November (for Thanksgiving) most of the days were fine--chilly but sunny-nothing we couldn't handle. We did have rain a couple of times--spotty showers one day and one night we were caught in a "monsoon"-lol. Couldn't get a cab to save our souls--ended up walking for blocks and got back to our hotel looking like drowned rats but you know what --it's actually one of our best memories of New York. Every time we talk about it we end up in fit of giggles !! Don't worry too much about the weather, check one of the weather sites a couple of days before you go and that will give you some idea of how to plan your days and what to bring to wear. We will be in New York for Thanksgiving again this year-it's becoming a tradition.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
4,091 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: November in NYC

I have been the weekend before Thanksgiving the last three years and it's a wonderful time to be there. Holiday spirit is in the air, and the weather has usually been cool, but not too cold...

Until last year....my first two days were sunny and in the high 50's/low 60's, but then a cold front came through halfway through my trip with some snow flurries and a temperature drop to the high 20's! Luckily I checked on weather.com before coming and knew this was likely so I had brought both light jacket and heavy coat. That said, it was a fluke, and I will likely be back this year at the same time.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,385 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: November in NYC

November 10th-17th we should still have a good bit of autumn color here in NYC, so the parks should be pretty. It can vary year to year, but in the collection of NYC autumn photos here you'll see some nice ones taken during that week:

https:/…

Also, here is the thread with last year's holiday dates...in 2013 Thanksgiving was on Thursday 11/28 and this year it will be Thursday 11/27, so most of the opening dates for 2014 *should* move up by just one day:

tripadvisor.com/…53972764

You'd get ice skating that week, no problem! Also the Bryant Park holiday market should already be open, and a couple of the department store windows will likely be unveiled before the November 17th. :)

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,399 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: November in NYC

We have been to NYC a few times now in November. Weather is varied but never been that bad. You will have a great time. Loads of things to do.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: November in NYC

If you are from the UK, you should have no trouble. The worst you're likely to get is cold drizzly days. So just like summer back home! ;) I actually think that is a good week to come though because it is a sneakily quiet week for tourism. Our tour business usually hits a small lull the week before Thanksgiving. The marathon and other major events are over and the holidays haven't begun. Lines are very short at major attractions, so that's good.

Shawn

http://nytourguy.blogspot.com/

http://instagram.com/nytourguy

Birmingham
Level Contributor
7 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: November in NYC

Hi!

Me and my boyfriend have booked to go in November (13th-18th) too and we can't wait! I have been in Feb before, which wasn’t as cold as I thought it would have been!! So I cant see November being much different from what the UK is like in November. I'm sure no matter what time of year you went you would have an amazing time!

Sam :-) x

9. Re: November in NYC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 May 2015, 05:15