We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation for 2 adults and 2 teenagers (16 and 14)

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
395 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Accommodation for 2 adults and 2 teenagers (16 and 14)

Hi guys,

We are going to be in New York between the 16th of July and the 20th of July (4 nights). We have looked into accommodation near the times square, broadway-midtown area (this is our preferred area) and have a short list of possible hotels (we are going to book two rooms)

The London NYC

Sofitel New York

Intercontinental Times Square

Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel

Could someone tell me which of the 4 is the best for us? Also, if my list isn't good could you please suggest any other good hotels in the area? thanks

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,344 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodation for 2 adults and 2 teenagers (16 and 14)

Those are all perfectly lovely hotels. The London is all suites and is a bit trendier and more upscale than the others. There's a brand new Hyatt you might want to check and if you wall wanted to stay together, the Doubletree Suites Times Square has some 2 bedroom 2 bathroom suites. I would make sure the hotels are ok with the teens staying in a room by themselves if that's what you have in mind. It would also help us help you if you gave an idea of the types of things that would make a hotel best for you.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
395 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodation for 2 adults and 2 teenagers (16 and 14)

thanks nywhiz how do i check with the hotels if its ok for the teens to stay in a room by themselves as we don't live in the states

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodation for 2 adults and 2 teenagers (16 and 14)

**how do i check with the hotels if its ok for the teens to stay in a room by themselves**

Call the hotel that you choose and ask them.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
395 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accommodation for 2 adults and 2 teenagers (16 and 14)

we do not live in the states thats the thing. is there another way of checking?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,344 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accommodation for 2 adults and 2 teenagers (16 and 14)

Try contacting them on facebook. Do you not have the ability to make international phone calls?

The Hyatt I meant was the Times Square one.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
395 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accommodation for 2 adults and 2 teenagers (16 and 14)

its extremely expensive but do i have to check with the hotels?

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
395 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Accommodation for 2 adults and 2 teenagers (16 and 14)

could you rank the hotels that are on my list including the hyatt times square from best to worst? like 1-5

thank you

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,342 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Accommodation for 2 adults and 2 teenagers (16 and 14)

We often have our older teens in rooms by themselves. Never had a hotel care yet. We have then in the room opposite, or adjacent, of course.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,900 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Accommodation for 2 adults and 2 teenagers (16 and 14)

I can imagine that it's a bit of a "don't ask, don't tell" thing when it's two parents, two older kids and two rooms.

Some of the motivation around the minimum check-in age can be due to open (unlocked) minibars in the rooms. There may be legal requirements to have an adult staying in the room (or at least legal liability risks), but probably difficult to truly enforce. I doubt they would be doing bed checks to see where the parents are sleeping.

I'm just theorizing. I don't know any of this for a fact. Make sure the kids realize that the minibars are computerized and you'll know if they've snuck anything out :-) The novelty of the minibar might give them ideas.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
395 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Accommodation for 2 adults and 2 teenagers (16 and 14)

could you please list the hotels that i mentioned above from best to worst? thanks