We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manhattan to EWR with current subway closure?

Langley City, Canada
Level Contributor
809 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Manhattan to EWR with current subway closure?

I had my transit to EWR all figured out earlier, but just noticed that the subway is not running while I am there (June 16th) due to construction. I have a 7:30am flight home on that Monday morning, so just want to make sure I know what I'm doing so that I'm not late for my flight.

I believe there is a shuttle bus that picks up at the first stop in New Jersey (?), but I'm not sure how much longer this will take compared to riding the subway the whole way, especially given that it's will be rush hour on a Monday.

Is there a better affordable option? Could someone please sort of walk me through what I need to do to get from Manhattan (I can get to 42nd Street Station easily from where we are staying), and about how long this should take? I'm not checking any bags, but will be flying to Canada, so was going to shoot to be at the airport by 6am.

Thank you!

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,456 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Manhattan to EWR with current subway closure?

You have it almost right. The New York Subway still goes to Penn Station New York. The New Jersey Transit commuter train goes to Newark Penn Station (instead of the airport). At that station, you use your "Airport" ticket (which you bought to get on the train) to get on a special Airport Express bus that goes right to your terminal with that ticket. It might add about 15-20 minutes to your trip. If the flight is at 7:30, and you have to be there by 6 AM, just leave NYC by 5 AM and you will be set. The toughest thing is that the subway doesn't run as often until 6 AM, so that is your biggest worry; you don't want to miss a train and then wait for 20 minutes. Where are you starting from????

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,456 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Manhattan to EWR with current subway closure?

Just to let you know: the 7th Avenue subway (1,2,3 trains) has a train every 10 minutes before 6 AM; so does the Broadway (N,Q,R) subway. And the 8th Avenue has a train every 10 minutes from 50th to WTC. This is why I am asking where you are starting from. Of course, if you are within walking distance, it's easier.

I'd also suggest 2 things: get your train/bus ticket the night before at Penn Station. If you are walking, enter the railroad station at 31 St. @ 8th Avenue, or 33rd St @ 8th Avenue: that's where the New Jersey Transit trains to Newark leave from. Enter anywhere else, and you will be wandering through passageways. Of course if you take the subway, just follow the signs to "NJ Transit".

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,456 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Manhattan to EWR with current subway closure?

If you are panicked when you get to Newark Penn Station because you are really late, just take a cab the last 4 miles for about $12 more.

Commuter train schedule:

www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv…

Edited: 22 May 2014, 22:37
Langley City, Canada
Level Contributor
809 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Manhattan to EWR with current subway closure?

Thanks for the quick reply! I'm a little worried about transferring around since I won't be at all familiar with New Jersey beforehand (flying into LGA).

I just found CoachUSA for $16 one way... is this a reliable service? It picks up at the Port Authority Bus Terminal at 5am (first bus)... wondering if that would get me to EWR around 6am? It doesn't seem to say anywhere how long the trip takes and the bus runs every 30 minutes that time of day.

Or would subway/shuttle be a better option still? That shuttle is just not sounding too reliable, is there anyone that's used this since the closure?

Langley City, Canada
Level Contributor
809 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Manhattan to EWR with current subway closure?

Oh and I'm starting from right by the 50th Street Subway between 8th and 9th.

Langley City, Canada
Level Contributor
809 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Manhattan to EWR with current subway closure?

Just called the CoachUSA customer service line and it says that the trip takes about 30 minutes... would rush hour at 5am make this a lot longer, or is traffic still fairly light that time of day? What time would rush hour between Manhattan and New Jersey really pick up?... maybe I can sleep in a little and take the 5:30am CoachUSA shuttle from Port Authority Bus Terminal, that would be nice!

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,456 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Manhattan to EWR with current subway closure?

I'd take that CoachUSA bus, which actually leaves at 5:15 AM according to their page. There is not much traffic that early in the morning, and it is easy to do.

Here is the page that says the bus leaves at 5:15 AM:

www.coachusa.com/olympia/ss.newarkairport.asp

Here is the page that says it leaves from W. 41 St between 8th and 9th Avenues.

coachusa.com/info/…ss.toolkit.wheretobuy.asp

Just walk down there from W 50 St, it's 1/2 mile, but get there 10 minutes early, so leave your hotel at 4:50 AM!!!!!!!

The airport ride is about a half hour, possibly even less that early in the morning.

Edited: 22 May 2014, 22:56
Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,456 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Manhattan to EWR with current subway closure?

NOTE: The bus does NOT leave from inside the Bus Terminal building, but on the STREET on W. 41 St. This is VERY important.

Langley City, Canada
Level Contributor
809 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Manhattan to EWR with current subway closure?

Thanks for the feedback, great to hear that's a good option. Seems like it might be easier than getting off and tracking down the shuttle at Newark Penn Station that time of day. Is it safe to walk around just before 5am? I checked the link that you shared and it still sounds like it leaves at 5am (under "First Departure Times"), and then the next one at 5:30am since it's only every 30 minutes until 6:45am... but maybe I'm missing something. I'll call in to double check.

Should rush hour also be pretty light still between 5:30 and 6am? My flight was bumped up earlier that morning than it was supposed to be, so if I can get away with taking the 5:30am bus (would probably shoot to be at the bus stop by 5:15am) that would be nice!

My flight to Vancouver is at 7:30am and I won't have any bags to check, I have a Nexus card for the express security line, and hopefully there are kiosks for Air Canada so I can just print my boarding pass at the airport. Usually that gets me through to the boarding area easily in 30 minutes from airport arrival, but maybe EWR is a busy airport, or perhaps early Monday morning is a popular time to travel.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,456 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Manhattan to EWR with current subway closure?

My mistake: It leaves Grand Central Terminal at 4:45 AM, and take 15 minutes to go crosstown to 41 St and 8th Avenue. At noon, that is optimistic, but at 4:45 that is about right. And it is safe to walk. Monday morning can be crowded, but 6 AM is still pretty early. Don't count on your best time; the 5:30 bus is okay, though.