We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day trip from Manhattan to DC is it worth the efforts?

Montevideo...
Level Contributor
799 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
One day trip from Manhattan to DC is it worth the efforts?

As it seems the trip alone wastes 3.5 hours each way, the distances there are not so short and maybe some places close the doors early, I was wondering if it is worth all the hassle going to DC.

We are 2 adults and our 15 y.o. daughter, first time to the US.

Can you help me with the decision if DC should or should not be in our schedule? And if the answer is yes providing tips as to that day's schedule?

Thanks!

Edited: 23 May 2014, 14:50
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,454 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day trip from Manhattan to DC is it worth the efforts?

I think it depends on what things interest you in Washington and how long your total stay is in NYC or US and whether you expect to return any time soon. If you havent already bought aifare, it. Wuld have ,ade more sense to fly into one city and out of the other...thereby avoiding one leg of travel. We usually say staying over in Washington at least a night is better, but if you can't do that and desperately want o see a few things in Washington, it can be done but makes for a long day.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
733 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day trip from Manhattan to DC is it worth the efforts?

I have done that trip as a day trip many, many times for work (when, e.g., client did not want to pay for hotel) - 6am Acela from WAS to NYP, meetings/work all day, then an evening Acela from NYP to WAS - and it is exhausting. It can be done, but it's exhausting. These days, I generally stay overnight even if I have to pay for the hotel myself. There is also so much to see in DC that I really would recommend you stay at least 1 night in DC if at all possible. It's well worth a visit - I'd just consider staying the night if you can. And usually, the Acela is not worth the extra money for the small amount of time you save, but if you're truly doing a same-day trip I find the time savings does make a difference (every little bit helps).

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,071 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day trip from Manhattan to DC is it worth the efforts?

Only if you stay over night there, and even then I'd say you should do at least 2 nights in DC

As a day trip it wastes way too much time traveling

Montevideo...
Level Contributor
799 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One day trip from Manhattan to DC is it worth the efforts?

The problem is we already have the 14 nights reserved in a Manhattan hotel, so don't want to pay for another hotel in Washington. Thank you for your opinions.

Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
5,749 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One day trip from Manhattan to DC is it worth the efforts?

I have made two day trips to DC from NYC. I restricted myself to specific things I wanted to see. Most attractions of tourist interest are between the White House and the Capitol along the Mall. There are a number of museums there, but these depend on your interests. If you have seen the Natural History Museum in NYC, I would not bother with the one in DC. The Met Museum is better than the National Gallery of Art.

For such a short trip, I would avoid things requiring waiting in line such as Archives if crowded. I believe there is a public bus loop around the Mall and this could be a cheap way to take a tour. The White House and Capitol require advance planing for admission. The exteriors of many buildings are impressive in of themselves If you arrive early, you will likely be exhausted from walking and welcome several hours rest on the return train. Look at a map and decide what interests you in advance of your trip.

Elgin, United...
Level Contributor
170 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One day trip from Manhattan to DC is it worth the efforts?

My hubby & I are doing the one day trip to Washington this thu as staying ten nights in NYC so easily got time to do it. Likewise I don't want to pay an night in DC when we've already paid in NYC.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,827 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One day trip from Manhattan to DC is it worth the efforts?

taketours.com/new-york-ny/1-day-washington-d…

If you really, really only have one day maybe something like this would work - you'll spend a lot of time in DC getting from site to site on your own so this cuts down on that time. I at first thought Madame Tussaud's would be an odd, lame, stop, but since you'll never get into the "real" White House maybe I can see the point.

I also saw this same/similar tour sold through Viator, same price.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,916 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One day trip from Manhattan to DC is it worth the efforts?

It is doable if you leave really early and take the train and reach DC by 8 or 9 am. Take the HOHO bus to tour around and take the train back late in the night.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,227 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One day trip from Manhattan to DC is it worth the efforts?

Although arranging a White House tour is very difficult, it's easy to see the Capitol if you make an advance free reservation. Go to

visitthecapitol.gov/plan-visit/book-tour-the…

and choose the book a tour yourself online option.

The Capitol is very close to Union Station, so you can book a tour for shortly after your train arrives.

NJ
Level Contributor
707 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One day trip from Manhattan to DC is it worth the efforts?

It's not worth the hassle. Day trips to DC are exhausting. You will have to get up early & will be very tired at the end of the day. You will also spend about 6-7 hours in transit.