We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SOL - Timings for 2pm slot. (Also about the Islands).

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
200 posts
Save Topic
SOL - Timings for 2pm slot. (Also about the Islands).

Hello,

Somehow I've been lucky enough to get SOL crown access tickets in June. I've a few questions I hope you can help with. Sorry if there is loads - I'm quite excited!

My reserve access ticket is 2pm. I'm not sure what this means. I will be going from Battery Park.

What time should I aim to get down there - I also need to collect this reserve ticket.

Is 2pm the time that a ferry might leave, or is 2pm the time for SOL access?

This might be really obvious but I'm presuming the tickets include all the relevant ferry access. I bought from StatueCruises.com

The ticket said it includes priority boarding - where/when if this for?

What time might I finish the tour?

It seems to suggest 2pm tickets can't go to both Ellis island and Eiberty island? Is that correct? Does it mean you actually can't, or you're unlikely to with timings? I tend to go through things quite quickly so is there a chance I could do both?

And lastly - if so, is there an extra alternative trip where I can visit Ellis Island and the Governor's Island in one go so I don't miss out on seeing everything?

Thank you in advance.

Livonia, Michigan
Level Contributor
203 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SOL - Timings for 2pm slot. (Also about the Islands).

Your 2pm time is when you enter the security line at Battery Park to board the ferry. The ferries run every 20 minutes or so. You have to go security again once you get to Liberty Island and then you can head up into the pedestal and crown. From Liberty Island you take another ferry to Ellis Island and from Ellis Island back to Battery Park. All ferries costs are included in your ticket.

I was there about one month ago and we spent 4 hours rom the time we entered security at Battery Park to the time we returned. We only had pedestal access at the SOL but did go to Ellis Island also. If you just ride the ferry from Battery Park and back without getting off either stop, it's about an hour roundtrip.

I do not know of any ferries from Ellis Island to Governor's Island.

Santa Clarita...
Level Contributor
227 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SOL - Timings for 2pm slot. (Also about the Islands).

I would arrive at 1:30pm to collect tickets, then get in the security queue for reserved ticket holders. You will go through security and then board the next available boat. Boat first stops at SOL. You get off to do your thing, then reboard later to continue to Ellis Island, where you can also get off to tour and reboard later to return to dock.

We were just there a few weeks ago. There are no priority lines to reboard at either SOL or Ellis Island. As to Governors island, hopefully one of the regulars can help you out.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,454 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SOL - Timings for 2pm slot. (Also about the Islands).

On their FAQ it says:

"What does the time on my ticket mean?

The time on your ticket is the entrance to the Boarding Queue for the ferry. Please line up in the Reserve ticket line prior to the time on your ticket. At the appointed time, you will be allowed to enter the Boarding Queue. Upon arrival at Battery Park or Liberty State Park you will pass through the screening facility. After passing through screening, you will board the next available ferry to Ellis Island. If you have crown tickets, we recommend you proceed directly to the information booth upon your arrival at Liberty Island."

Also

"If you have 2:00pm tickets or later, you will only have adequate time to go to one of the two islands, whichever you choose."

The ferry to Governor's Island is a different co.

www.govisland.com/html/visit/directions.shtml

Edited: 23 May 2014, 21:29
Chester, United...
Level Contributor
200 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: SOL - Timings for 2pm slot. (Also about the Islands).

FYI - I was quick and managed to do Liberty and Ellis so not sure why the website suggests with 2pm crown you can't do both. The ferrys were running after I'd done everything as well still from Liberty to Ellis.

Also crown access totally is not worth it. It's hot, it's cramped and it's a long, tiring and uncomfortable way up - and when you get up there the view is not better or anything - and then you come back down - and are tired for the rest of the day!

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
20,835 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SOL - Timings for 2pm slot. (Also about the Islands).

Andrew, did you have 2pm crown tickets? Or were they earlier?

Lines can be long by afternoon. I'd suggest arriving as much as an hour before your time. "Wait times can be up to 90 minutes during peak months" www.nps.gov/stli/planyourvisit/hours.htm

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
200 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: SOL - Timings for 2pm slot. (Also about the Islands).

Crown at 2pm yes.

It seemed really busy but I don't have anything to compare how busy it was to other times.

Was about a 5 minute queue at the will call window at Castle Clinton.

Then about 30+ minutes to get through Security and on the boat. Maybe 40minutes.

Sounds like that's relatively good compared to other times then if people are waiting up to 90.

7. Re: SOL - Timings for 2pm slot. (Also about the Islands).

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2015, 05:15