We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

September 11 Memorial & Museum

Paris, France
Level Contributor
202 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
September 11 Memorial & Museum

I heard that they just opened to the public this week. But I thought they've already been around for years?

https://www.911memorial.org

Admission was donation basis before, but they currently charge $24. What is the difference between before and after? Or am I missing something important?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,462 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: September 11 Memorial & Museum

The museum just opened. Before it was just the memorial and a Tribute Center. If you don't want to visit the museum, you don't have to.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,770 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: September 11 Memorial & Museum

You are missing something important. There is a Memorial Plaza, a Memorial and a Museum.

The entrance to the newly opened Museum is inside a glass pavillion located next to the Memorial and both are located in the Plaza. The actual Museum is underground and located under the two Memorial pools. Memorial Plaza is now open daily to the public free of charge from 8:30am - 8:30 pm.

The Memorial was open to the public in Sept. 2011 at the time of the 10th anniversary of the attack. It consists of two large waterfall pools built on the footprints of the original World Trade Center twin towers and located on the tree-lined plaza. The names of all victims of the 1993 WTC bombing as well as those who were killed in New York, Pennsylvania and at the Pentagon on 9/11 are inscribed on the bronze parapets surrounding the pools. Visitors required passes to see the Memorial, which were free, and could be booked on line ahead of time, as well as on a walk up basis. Passes were required because the entire plaza was fenced off while construction of the Museum, and other structures in the area, was taking place.

Now that the Museum is complete, passes are no longer needed to enter the Plaza between 8:30am - 8:30pm and anyone can freely visit the Memorial located above ground. The Plaza is still surrounded by fences because construction continues around it. Once all the construction is complete the fences will be completely removed and access to the Plaza and Memorial will presumably be unlimited.

The Museum opened to the public last week, May 21st 2014. It has not been funded by government funds and needs to pay for ongoing costs that will allow it to operate in future. To make this possible there is a $24.00 admission fee. Family members of victims will not be required to pay an admission. Even though the $24.00 may be considered significant by some, it is similar to the price of other museums in the city. Free admission will be available on Tuesday evenings from 5-8 pm but tickets must be booked ahead of time because the number of visitors is currently being limited at any one time. Funds raised by charging admission will still not be enough to cover the cost of running the Museum so there are also a gift shop and cafe located in the Museum.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
202 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: September 11 Memorial & Museum

Thank you very much. Such a great answer!! I appreciate it greatly.

I was confused because the "ticket" page at the official website looks exactly same as before... Now I understand that it is a new museum and very different than before.

4. Re: September 11 Memorial & Museum

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 May 2015, 06:16