We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary check - 4th of july week plus some questions

Pasadena, Maryland
Level Contributor
9 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary check - 4th of july week plus some questions

Hi, I'll be traveling for the first time to NYC and I wanted to see as much as I could in the 9 days I will be there.

Here is what I have in my itinerary. Please be honest, is this unrealistic as far as how much I have planned?

Sat. June 28 - Arrive at LGA; take public transit to Grand Central Station; lunch; check-in at hotel; NY public library; Times Square

Sun. June 29 - Tabernacle church ; lunch at Smorgasburg; walk across Brooklyn Bridge; explore little italy and Chinatown

Mon. June 30 - Early trip to Carlo's bakery in Hoboken; Museum of Natural History; meet up with friends

Tues. July 1 - Early walk in Central park; the Met; 9/11 Memorial and museum in the late afternoon

Wed. July 2 - TKTS; Broadway matinee show; Union Square and Greenmarket; concert in Central Park

Thurs. July 3 - Ferry day; trip to Staten island then to governors island; dance party in the evening

Fri. July 4th - I have blocked this entire day off for the fireworks show. I'd like to get a good seat off near the Brooklyn bridge. Is this necessary, you think?

Sat. July 5 - Cloisters; Galleries and dinner in Chelsea Market; Greenwich Village

Sun. July 6 - Breakfast and check out of hotel; fly out of LGA.

Notes: not all meals I've planned, obviously. I figured I'd live off of food trucks and whatever is nearby. The theme of my trip is cultural but inexpensive. I have no desire to pay to see tops of buildings so SOL, TOTR and ESB are not really something I'd like to do.

Questions:

1. Do you think this is all doable? I'm concerned about lines and wait times.

2. On my last day, I have to check out at 11 and leave at 4:30 in the afternoon. About how much time should I give myself to get to LGA from Grand Central? I thought of visiting Queens or somewhere close to the airport, but what could I possibly do with bags I'll have to lug around? Suggestions?

3. While I don't want to see SOL, I am on the fence about Ellis Island. How long would it take to visit? Is it worth it? I heard Hurricane Sandy kinda messed it up. Would an 8:30 - 11 trip be enough time?

Thank you for all of your help!

Mentioned in this post
Brooklyn Bridge
Brooklyn Bridge
16,573 Reviews
New York City, NY
Queens
Queens
New York
Jersey Boys
Concerts, Theatres, Performances
B.B. King Blues Club & Grill
Dinner Theatres, Bars & Clubs, Concerts, Blues Clubs & Bars
Irving Plaza
Bars & Clubs, Concerts
Central Park Summerstage
Parks, Performances, Concerts
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary check - 4th of july week plus some questions

How do you plan to return to the airport? By public transportation you should give yourself about 4 hours and if with cab give yourself 3 hours. I like being at least 2 hours early to airport. And u can def have a cheap vacation. Eating at trucks save money. When you go to Chelsea market, try the tacos. It's so good, the Italian food is good too.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,417 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary check - 4th of july week plus some questions

You havent provided enough detail in certain areas to say doable or not. There's no need to go to Hooken for Carlo's given he now has a place in Times Square ( not to mention that the stuff tastes average to bad).

Tues. is not really possible or sensible given the size of the Met and how far it is from 9/11 Museum. You could do some of Central Park on Mon. since it's also near the Mus. of Nat. Hist.

I wouldnt bother with the tkts booth. Pick a show you want to see from those listed on discount on

Broadwaybox.com

And take the discount to the box office when you arrive in NYC rather than waiting for same day which will be crowded.

The fireworks don't start until 9-9:30. Can,t imagine waiting for a spot all day.

The same ferry with the same security is used for SOL and Ellis Island. I can't say what will be worth it for you. I havent been since they reopened. Maybe someone else can help. If you do go, reserve a timed ticket at

Statuecruises.com

There's no place to leave luggage in Queens.

Edited: 25 May 2014, 00:09
Mentioned in this post
Queens
Queens
New York
Pasadena, Maryland
Level Contributor
9 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary check - 4th of july week plus some questions

Thank you for your input. I really do want to go to Hoboken, as my parents really liked it, and I've been wanting to go since I'm a huge fan of the show. The Times Square location is tempting, but I'm sure I'll get better quality at Hoboken, as it had better reviews.

Broadwaybox is EXACTLY what I was looking for, thank you!

And 4 hrs is about the amount of time I thought it would take. Much thanks!

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
16,505 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary check - 4th of july week plus some questions

If you want to wait until you get to the city, go to NYC & Co & pick up their discount brochure & take it to the box office. Also, you can also get online discounts at Playbill & TheaterMania by joining their free clubs. Sometimes different sites have different discounts.

Also, Carlo's has long lines & it's a bit of a trip. For the same baked goods go to the Cake Boss Cafe at 8th & 42nd. Not so much of a line & seating inside the Cafe. IMNSHO, the baked goods are not worth the Hoboken trip but I understand wanting to try them.

Edited: 27 May 2014, 20:11
New York, NY
Level Contributor
3,195 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary check - 4th of july week plus some questions

On July 2, the union square greenmarket will probably be shut down or close to it if you go after a matinee. If you are an early riser, go first thing in the morning;more variety and lots of chefs shopping. you can pick up a light breakfast there too.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary check - 4th of july week plus some questions

**Tues. July 1 - Early walk in Central park; the Met; 9/11 Memorial and museum in the late afternoon**

Too much IMO. The Met is huge as is the 9/11 Museum. I would definitely visit on different days.

Don't forgot to get a Metrocard for the subway(and buses.)

7. Re: Itinerary check - 4th of july week plus some questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 May 2015, 05:16